cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet switch Doesn't Work

SimWat82
Tuning in

Enabled my Virgin Media Broadband yesterday - Nothing but issues with my entire network since.

My house is cabled up with Cat6 throughout.  Previously my Sky broadband hub was cabled to a 16 port Gig-E Switch.  

Each room is double cabled out and patched to the switch.  Additionally I have an 8 port switch in my lounge connected off one of the ports on the main switch.

Since i swapped over, (Gateway 3 hub is connected off port 1 to the 16port switch, replacing the connection from Sky hub previously.) - none of the ethernet off the 8-port switch works the same.

Anything connected via the 8 port switch in the lounge:
SkyQ wont get an IP
Lightwave Smart Hub doesnt work (used to have a pre-allocated IP for this)
Panasonic Smart TV doesnt work

Just a tad disappointed that it wasnt a straight swap over.

Any advice about how to get this to work correctly?

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If it's only the 8 port switch that's not working, then test it connected with different lead and different port on the VM hub to check that it is consistently not working.  If that's the case then either it is a coincidental failure or there must be a compatibility issue between the hub and the 8 port switch, so buy a new one of a different make?

You are aware of the poor reputation of the routers built into VM's hubs?  Chances are you'd be better off buying a decent router, putting the hub in modem mode.  

I wasn’t aware of the poor performance of it as a router.

Do you have a recommendation for a better router?

I've been happy with the Archer c7! Rock solid, good performance and very configurable!

(It's a bit like asking what car should I get to he honest though - A lot of people on here love the DECO or the ZyXCEL (sp) mesh systems - More expensive though but very good coverage!)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

@SimWat82 Do you have a recommendation for a better router?

Depends on your needs, where it will be placed, what is connected and how, what (if any) wireless performance you want.  I use a TP-Link Deco M4 mesh system myself, but given the number of ethernet ports and the description of what you already have connected I don't think a low-mid price mesh like that is for you.  Either go for a mid-high end domestic router (say any Asus router over £100), or maybe think about high end mesh systems where each mesh unit has four etherent ports on it.