Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 Ethernet Speeds

So, hope you're sitting comfortably.

My Superhub 2 stopped working the other day, checked with 150 and the person couldn't work out what the issue was so I was told I'd get a new hub sent out.  I'd suggested I tried a full reset (pin in the back) to see if that would work but was told it wouldn't make any difference as I'd tried 4 times just doing a standard reset (switching off, unplugging, waiting etc etc) and for some reason I still couldn't get any internet.  Me being me, and as I work from home and was getting bored, I decided to try the reset anyway, and after a couple of attempts it worked, everything was back and running fine.  Until....

My new Superhub 3 arrived today.  I debated with myself whether or not to use it but decided to go ahead and give it a try.  Putting to one side the ridiculous 2.4ghz/5ghz issues with various devices around the house that meant I had to go in and change the SSID (who the hell thought that was a good idea???) the wifi is very very good all around the house. So far anyway.

The problem, and it's not a monumental issue, is with my work pc, which is connected via ethernet.  I've gone from getting average speeds which were between 150mbps and 200mbps (I'm on Vivid 200) to around 80mbps.  I've checked the NIC (1 gigabit, all settings are correct under Duplex or whatever it was called).  The cable is Cat5e, which I understand isn't as good as Cat6. I checked using a cat6 cable on a laptop and got back to the higher speeds, but then I checked on the same laptop with a another 5e cable (is it just me that hoards cables?) and still got the same 180+ speeds.  Because the pc is in another room, it's not exactly easy to change the cable, which is why I tried with a laptop, which by the way doesn't have a 1 gigabit NIC.

So to summarise - the only change to my setup is the new hub 3.  The last recorded test I've got on the old hub from the pc was 201mpbs.  Just tested again and it's 87.43mpbs.  That's pretty good, more than adequate to do whatever I want.  If it wasn't for the fact that I'm paying for 200mpbs.  Is it the Hub?  Is it worth crawling around the house and putting the cat6 cable in?  Should I stop moaning about almost 90 meg dl speeds?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Ethernet Speeds

80+ is typical of a 10/100 network card or a cable problem - try in a different port on the hub3 - check the light colours on the lan ports on the hub and the desktop pc - check on the laptop also

theres something odd if i understand correctly - you get 180+ on the laptop but it does not have a gigabit lan card - if you are getting 180 it must have

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Ethernet Speeds

I could be wrong with that, I've packed it away now as it doesn't get used often, but I'll double check later and I'll try the tips you've given.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Ethernet Speueds

Just on the cable issue. Cat5e is perfectly adequate for domestic networks, providing it's in good condition and not longer than 10 metres. 

Naturally you should buy Cat6 for any new installation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

Just on the cable issue. Cat5e is perfectly adequate for domestic networks, providing it's in good condition and not longer than 10 metres. 

Naturally you should buy Cat6 for any new installation.

where does the 10 metres come from - not disputing it but i have not seen that - i run a couple much longer than that and have no speed problems - i get the 200 and more that i am configured to

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

100 meters is usually the "limit" for a single length of cable without a switch or repeater inbetween, certainly not 10 meters.

however, i've got a cable that is 10m and i see a drop in achievable speeds when using it, but i suspect that is down to the poor quality of the cable rather than the length. buy cheap and you get cheap results. cable is not "just cable".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

What are your speeds with the hub in modem mode?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for being ignorant but to test that would I need to reattach my Archer router? I really don't want to start changing all the equipment again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@davbar1966 wrote:
Sorry for being ignorant but to test that would I need to reattach my Archer router? I really don't want to start changing all the equipment again.

no, you would just need to connect a laptop/pc direct to the hub3 with an ethernet cable whilst it's in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable with cat5e and upwards specification is that the maximum cable length is 1000ft or 305m. I have run device at this length of cable. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos