Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Hey. I separated both wireless frequencies so that I have separate SSID's for 2.4ghz and 5ghz

I want both networks to combine again now though like it was before, and for my devices automatically picking which one they connect to. 

Is this as simple as just changing both SSID's back to the same name? Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

a pinhole reset will reset everything back to how it was.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you but I wouldn't want to reset everything. I just want to have the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks no longer split up and back as one if possible, like before

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Then it is indeed as simple as giving both networks the same name.  Personally I wouldn't do that with a Hub 3, as my experience was that for some bizarre reason a few devices can't cope (a few iPhones, and particularly dim 2.4 GHz things like some printers, some "smart home" gear).

In principle sharing one name should work - it certainly does on my mesh wifi system and having the Hub 3 in modem mode, but the problems of Hub 3 routers using a shared name for both networks are well documented in this forum.  Some people have no problems of course, so if you're willing to experiment, give it a go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Funnily enough the reason I'm asking is because I've just bought a WiFi mesh system, and I thought I would need to put both networks on the same SSID and have them combined before putting the hub into modem mode. Is it not necessary?

The mesh system I got doesn't have an option to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Putting the hub into modem mode disables any routing/WiFi/NAT/DHCP etc. functionality. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Indeed you don't.  When you put the hub in modem mode (which is the best choice with a mesh or third party router) all you're left with is a single "live" ethernet port to connect to the first mesh unit/router, so it doesn't matter what settings or network name the hub was using, all that side of things is inactive..

Be aware that when you put a hub into modem mode it will restart, the only device you want connected initially is that first mesh unit.  If (say) you had a wired PC attached, the hub "locks" to the first MAC address it picks up, and then it'll seem that nothing else works until you power both units down, and then restart with only the primary mesh unit attached.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dialled in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Regardless of using a mesh setup or not, I prefer to run separate 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, so I can manually control which devices go on each, such as less critical or older devices on 2.4 and preferred devices on 5. For what it's worth, we've got a SH2 in modem mode, ASUS AC86U router and AC68U node with wireless backhaul.

The problem with band steering is you're really at the mercy of the client device, so the router may try to persuade the client to one band, but the client prefers the other band, then you can end up with a device bouncing between the two. I prefer not relying on the setup to make these decisions and add them to the one I want them to be on and stay on.
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help everyone! I guess I don't need to mess with it then once I put the Hub into modem mode. I just thought it might be necessary for some reason. I plan on connecting using the same SSID and password for the mesh so I don't have to bother setting all my devices up again. 

Ideally I would like the option to choose between 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks, but unfortunately my Mesh system just doesn't support it so what can you do. Is there any way to check which band (2.4ghz or 5ghz) your device is currently connected to?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The connected devices or DHCP list on your mesh system should tell you which band devices are connected on. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi