Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Wireless Extender

Hi community,

Very recently moved into a new house and have noticed 2 bedrooms upstairs are getting a decent Wi-Fi connection of around 100mb, however the other 2 bedrooms further away are getting less than 10mb downloads or barely connecting. 

I purchased the TP Link Wifi Extender, TL-WA850RE. I set this up to my router and placed this in the upstairs hallway. I noticed i now have two networks, routername and routername_ext - when upstairs and i connect to the secondary network to hopefully receive a better wifi signal, i'm not seeing any improvement at all really. 

Can someone provide some useful tips on how to improve the wi-fi connection upstairs? I noticed the tp link is only receiving a 2.GHz signal from the router, is this a problem and should it be 5GHz, if so how do i do this?

Thanks,

Dullah

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Wireless Extender

This might help ...

• Easily expand wireless coverage to previously unreachable or hard-to-wire areas at a push of range extender button. Frequency : 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz
***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How did you set the extender up? Did you use WPS?

You can also login to the extender via the web gui or using the “Tether” app to check what is actually being extended as well as renaming the SSID’s etc.

EDIT: The extender is only a 2.4Ghz wireless “N” extender:

FrequencySignal Rate

2.4~2.4835GHz
11n: Up to 300Mbps (dynamic)
11g: Up to 54Mbps (dynamic)
11b: Up to 11Mbps (dynamic)

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary,

I didn’t use WPS, connected the extender via the tether app. Found the extender first then linked to Virgin router and inputted the routers password and done. 

Random question, would I ever need to change the SSID? What’s the purpose of it? 

So the extender bought isn’t great at all then? 

Thanks,

Dullah

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Apologies but I’m not sure I follow your post. How do I expand the coverage? 

Thanks,

Dullah

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You won’t get fast speeds - maybe 50-60Mbps max at a push

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary for pointing out the extender only has a frequency rate between 2-2.4GHz. 

I’ve just had a browse and was looking at the TP Link AC1750. 

Signal Rate

5GHz:Up to 1300Mbps 2.4GHz:Up to 450Mpbs

I presume this would be much better? I don’t want to spend more than £50 to be honest, any other extender you would recommend in my budget? 

Thanks

Dullah

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A mesh system would be better.

But if you want an extender then either that one or the AC2600 which I’ve used on and off for a year or two with no hassle 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re650/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary. I’ll read into a mesh system. My knowledge on networks is almost non-existent. 

I bought this extender from Argos, do you think I would be able to return it after having used it? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Dullah05 wrote:

Thanks Gary. I’ll read into a mesh system. My knowledge on networks is almost non-existent. 

I bought this extender from Argos, do you think I would be able to return it after having used it? 

Possibly. Amazon are usually more lax on their returns than Argos but it’s worth a try. Say it’s faulty I guess 🤣

0 Kudos