cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 2ac continual reboots in evenings

Steve_oo1
Tuning in

My hub continually reboots all even from around 1830 onwards- its like someone comes home and connected something else in the street that kills my hub. I work from home atm and it matters not what we do or don't do internally its the same story when no one is here.  I have had this before and an engineer came out checked all the connections etc and couldn't really solve it but said there was some slight noise he could see and so he requested a network engineer who has better equipment to look at it from the street cab.  I've no idea if anything was done but I didn't have any or hardly any reboots a few days after that.  Now approximately 1 year on it is continually rebooting every evening. I have lived with it now for several weeks but it has become impossibly frustrating.  

Screenshot 2021-10-25 140321.png

I called 150 spoke to James who quite honestly was slurring his words and seemed very out of it!!! Anyway of course no joy he said all is fine which is but it wont be at 1830 tonight as it isn't every night!  He rebooted it and said he was sure that would fix it for me! haha right.

To me all signal strengths and SNR look ok as far as the hub is concerned.

Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked1139000000 Hz256 QAM3.6 dBmV 36.0 dB494301
Locked2147000000 Hz256 QAM3.6 dBmV 36.6 dB434288
Locked3155000000 Hz256 QAM3.6 dBmV 36.6 dB332314
Locked4163000000 Hz256 QAM3.4 dBmV 36.6 dB279274
Locked5171000000 Hz256 QAM3.2 dBmV 36.8 dB290290
Locked6179000000 Hz256 QAM3.2 dBmV 36.8 dB277277
Locked7187000000 Hz256 QAM3.2 dBmV 37.1 dB294292
Locked8195000000 Hz256 QAM3.1 dBmV 37.1 dB293288

To reset the Pre and Post RS error counts please use the Downstream screen under the router status screen available from the login page.

Upstream ChannelsLock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked160300000 HzATDMA47.5 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked439400000 HzATDMA44.5 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked346200000 HzATDMA45.5 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked253700000 HzATDMA46.8 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec

I Know the SH2ac is old, but the Wi-Fi works at full speed throughout my house, no way I want a hub 3 with its PUMA6 flaws and Wi-Fi that wont even reach out of the room its in! plus it doesn't play nice with my work VPN

Any ideas? I am at my wits end with Virgin.

Thanks

Steve

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Andrew-G - one of the VIP's spotted the "sawtooth" pattern on the average latency (blue line) and suggested the below.

Perhaps the VM person who gets here can take account of the suggestion

"The very regular saw tooth profile on the average latency indicates something cyclical is occurring across circa eight minute periods. That to my mind points to a capacitive or thermal problem with a component, and makes the likely candidates the hub itself, or the amplifier in the street cabinet. Why it should then degenerate to massive packet loss I couldn't guess."

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Steve_oo1,

Thanks for your post 🙂

I am sorry to hear you have been having issues, I have checked and cannot see an issue with your power levels or on our end which is odd as your BQM does not look good.

I can book tech to come and take a look at this for you. I will pop you over a PM and we can go from there.

Zoie

thanks, John.  I think what Andrew is saying makes total sense to me.  The massive packet loss is due to the Hub rebooting so I guess what ever is causing the saw tooth pattern is probably linked, either the Hub is getting upset with the amplifier that perhaps drops out (I recall before there were t3 timeouts? before) or the Hub itself is causing it and when it happens (maybe a voltage level or something gets just over under a threshold) it crashes it and it reboots.  To be honest I have only ever had that saw tooth pattern so I assumed that was a normal pattern for a cable modem.  The only other BQMs I have are for and FTTP which and leased lines and are totally flat, I just assumed that was normal!  Clearly it sounds like it is not.

Just to update i had an engineer visit today for ten minutes (thanks to Zoie), he swapped out my SH2AC for a new hub4,  I wasn't in personally as he came a little early! but I refused point blank on the phone to have a hub 3 as I have spent hours troubleshooting and trying to improve these for others- they are nothing better than plastic door stop.  Only time will tell if this fixes my issue, I suspect it will!.  But my god the HUB4 is complete junk also.  The Wifi range is minimum 30-40% less than my netgear superhub 2 ac.  The interface is rubbish like the hub 3. I mean not being able to name port forwards and not being able to edit them, who writes this garbage, such simple requirements that can be witten in 2-3 mins of code max.  I just can't fathom why virgin media select such garbage for what is such a crucial piece of kit and totally negates any network advantages they have.

I travel a lot, now since the hub 4 the BA app will not load when it forwards you to their check in system, disable wifi, Bam straight in every time on 4g. What else is going to be like this?  I have spent hours trying to get VPN's working for people on the HUB3 that could never be got to work, what else will not work?  Toob are putting FFTP in my area at the moment, the day they come to my street I’m gone, I literally cannot wait, I’ve paid full price for two decades from virgin and they just get worse and worse, why can’t they install a decent modem? I do hope the Hub 5 is fit for purpose.  Give me the small dinky modem back, never ever had an issue with that!!

I will be gutted if the HUB4 doesn’t fix my issue as no chance of getting my far superior 2ac returned I don’t suppose...

I don’t see why I should have to buy a separate router have the hub and a router burner power 24-7 when a decent router can do it all, if Virgin aren’t going to provide a device that is fit for purpose then they should open up and allow customers to directly connect their own cable routers.  if Virgin were forced to open thier network like BT/open reach they'd be toast within 2 years. Such a waste of such a great technology.

Anyway rant over, another disgruntled customer...