cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 2 Modem Mode only issues

chris361
Tuning in

I have been running my hub 2 in modem mode and connected to an ASUS router only for years but it has stopped working. If I put the hub back into wifi mode I can access the internet but the problem is that the ASUS router is set up to handle the tv, 2 printers, numerous amazon devices, CCTV, video doorbell the list goes on. These devices all have static IP addresses so to change them all would take days.

I have spoken to tech support who have basically said tough **bleep**, not their problem.

Is it possible to order a new hub online as I have no faith in talking to anyone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

Have you tried a full factory reset on the hub? If not then it's worth giving it a go. Press the little reset button on the back of the hub using a bent paperclip or similar, you should feel it click as you do so. Leave it pressed in for a full minute, the hub should reboot itself and restart in normal router mode as it was when first sent out.

The default login password is either on a sticker on the base of the hub or, I believe, it was 'Changeme' on the old hubs. Once back in then set it back to modem mode, let it reboot, connect your ASUS router up and then (importantly) reboot the hub again and it should see the ASUS and pass the WAN IP address across to it.

Failing that then the hub will need replacing, probably the best way is to disconnect the coax cable from it, call VM customer services and just say that the hub has failed and you have no service. They will ask you to turn it on and off again, and what colour lights are etc, just make something up. They will try to connect to the hub and fail - because there's no cable to it, conclude that it is indeed dead, and offer to send a replacement - if they have sorted out the supply chain issues a bit better then there is a good chance you will get a hub 3, not that it will make any difference to you in modem mode.

Now actually you can use your ASUS with the hub in router mode as long as you weren't using the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet for your LAN IP range. Log into the hub in router mode and disable the wifi (not essential but best to avoid clashes), connect the WAN port on your ASUS to the hub and then restart the ASUS. Your router will pick up an address of, probably, 192.168.0.10 as its WAN address with 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, ie the VM hub. Importantly, though, the ASUS will still act as a router linking that connection to your internal LAN (which is why it won't work if you are using 192.168.0.0/24 internally).

It's not ideal though, you are double natting - not generally an issue for most users, the hub will want to broadcast wifi as well, best to switch that off as mentioned above, and anything else you attach to the hub's ethernet ports or if you were to connect to the hub's wifi, then those devices will see the internet ok but not be able to communicate with anything connected to the ASUS, either wired or wireless. Which can a source of confusion and head scratching!

Like I say, not an ideal setup but perfectly workable until such time as you get a new hub if necessary, and saves having to reconfigure anything on your LAN side.

John

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jem101
Superstar

Have you tried a full factory reset on the hub? If not then it's worth giving it a go. Press the little reset button on the back of the hub using a bent paperclip or similar, you should feel it click as you do so. Leave it pressed in for a full minute, the hub should reboot itself and restart in normal router mode as it was when first sent out.

The default login password is either on a sticker on the base of the hub or, I believe, it was 'Changeme' on the old hubs. Once back in then set it back to modem mode, let it reboot, connect your ASUS router up and then (importantly) reboot the hub again and it should see the ASUS and pass the WAN IP address across to it.

Failing that then the hub will need replacing, probably the best way is to disconnect the coax cable from it, call VM customer services and just say that the hub has failed and you have no service. They will ask you to turn it on and off again, and what colour lights are etc, just make something up. They will try to connect to the hub and fail - because there's no cable to it, conclude that it is indeed dead, and offer to send a replacement - if they have sorted out the supply chain issues a bit better then there is a good chance you will get a hub 3, not that it will make any difference to you in modem mode.

Now actually you can use your ASUS with the hub in router mode as long as you weren't using the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet for your LAN IP range. Log into the hub in router mode and disable the wifi (not essential but best to avoid clashes), connect the WAN port on your ASUS to the hub and then restart the ASUS. Your router will pick up an address of, probably, 192.168.0.10 as its WAN address with 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, ie the VM hub. Importantly, though, the ASUS will still act as a router linking that connection to your internal LAN (which is why it won't work if you are using 192.168.0.0/24 internally).

It's not ideal though, you are double natting - not generally an issue for most users, the hub will want to broadcast wifi as well, best to switch that off as mentioned above, and anything else you attach to the hub's ethernet ports or if you were to connect to the hub's wifi, then those devices will see the internet ok but not be able to communicate with anything connected to the ASUS, either wired or wireless. Which can a source of confusion and head scratching!

Like I say, not an ideal setup but perfectly workable until such time as you get a new hub if necessary, and saves having to reconfigure anything on your LAN side.

John

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Connect a single device to the hub by ethernet cable to check that the ports all work - a common failure mode on ageing hubs is for the ethernet ports to fail (likely a failed solder joint).  If you can establish that one or more ethernet ports have failed, then VM will have to replace the hub.  If the single device works, then consider what else could be causing the problem, or whether it is an intermittent disconect. 

Thanks for the detailed reply, I have ordered a new hub and will wait for it to arrive rather than suffer the upheaval and issues with double natting etc.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If the hub is fine by wire to the modem mode port in router mode then it is your ASUS router thats the problem or VM DHCP not allowing your router but to test that theory with the hub in router connect your ASUS router if it works VM DHCP Issue if not your ASUS router is broken.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I have connected my desktop directly to the hub in modem mode only and it is dead

New modem coming on Tuesday