Menu
KatL
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 1 replacement

Hi there, just wondered if anyone can help me.

I've had a SuperHub 1 for years - how can I upgrade this to one of the newer models? My WiFi has been dropping a bit recently and wondered if this was the cause?

I tried this link I saw people post: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap but once I fill in my email address and press continue, I get stuck on the next page. Whichever option I choose, needing an engineer or not (which I don't), it doesn't let me continue.

Is there an easier way than phoning up just for this? If not I'll give a ring this weekend.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub 1 replacement

Forum staff can arrange a replacement. 

I wouldn't expect great things from the hub3 though - lots of complaints around here about the quality of the wifi signal. 

if the link doesn't work, then sit tight for a forum staffer to respond and arrange to ship one out - lots of people say that the CS desk tries to charge them for a new hub when they call up and end up waiting around here instead.. 

KatL
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I’ll hold tight for someone to contact.
0 Kudos
Pingouin
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I got my Superhub 1 swapped for a hub 3 last year. Differences:

• Domain blocking is gone. If you need it, you might be better of with the old hub. I now have to use my hosts file to block domains.
  • 2.4GHz WiFi signal not better, about the same.
  • Supports 5GHz WiFi. Theoretically, you can get better speed, but it makes the signal (which is already not great) even poorer. So if you "force" 5GHz and you are not close to the router, your signal will be even poorer.
  • Only new thing I like is you can name your devices, and it remember their names, so if you are paranoid and like checking what devices are connected, it makes it a bit easier. I don't recall you could do that with SuperHub 1. Of course, if you use a PSK key that is at least 12 characters long, the odds of someone hacking/tapping into your WiFi are low.
  • Diagnostic tool, but I suppose it's more for customer support than for you as it doesn't really give any useful data, just which bits are working and which ones aren't, no detailed info. It tells me that all my WiFi devices have low signal and to get them closer to the hub. Gee, thanks! Alternatively, Virgin Media could make a hub with decent signal?

Other changes seem to be purely cosmetic in the interface.

KatL
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice - I've noticed my internet dropping out a lot recently.

Maybe the extenders are the answer or maybe it's the router. I just thought upgrading it might help but not heard anything from staff on the forum yet so just holding tight at the moment.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SH1 Replacement Needed

Hopefully won't be much longer to get a replacement hub sorted, once this has been done we can look at any issues you may still have 🙂

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos