Menu
audetto74
Dialled in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub vs FritzBox

Been in Italy for 10 days at my parents home and bought them a FirtzBox to replace their old pair ADSL Modem + Router.

The name and the box make it look like a toy, but how fantastic it was.

Very very positively surprised by the quality of the router, features, interface responsiveness and ease of doing so many things that with the Super Hub are just impossible.

Best ever router I have used (in a ranking including OpenWRT, and where SuperHub is a lonely last).

Virgin Media: I am going to give you for free an advice some consultant company would charge 100k+:

Ditch your Super Hub (past present and future) and start a partnership with FritzBox: add a Cable Modem to their router and you will have a product 100x better.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub vs FritzBox

fritzbox isn't a cable router, it's a DSL router, plus you always need to use the virgin hub as the modem anyway.

you can still use the fritzbox in combination with the virgin hub modem if you really wanted to.

i've used a fritzbox extensively before, and they aren't *that* great
0 Kudos
audetto74
Dialled in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Indeed, VM should integrate their Cable Model into a FritzBox router to produce a single device doing it all.

I could turn the super hub into a modem, but it adds more cables and takes more room. It will probably happen next time I need to use the SH interface...
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

why should they? and why would fritzbox want to?
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

AVM (the company who market their products under the brand Fritzbox) have had a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem available for about 18 months or so already, and if I recall correctly it has been offered by what were (until sold to Vodafone) Liberty Global's German and Austrian cable operations.  ANd they now have a D3.1 modem with Wifi 6 capabilities that are rather ahead of the mediocrity I currently anticipate for the VM gigabit Dullbox (tm).

There's no reason it couldn't be offered by VM to customers, other than that they can't be bothered and simply offer whatever junk Motorola/Arris wish to flog, and they have nothing but contempt for the EU rules that state that customers are entitled to choice of terminal equipment.

So in answer to chenks, "why should they?", how about because EU rules demand choice of CPE (Brexit or not), and as to "why would fritzbox want to?", because they've already made the investment to build a DOCSIS 3.1 hub and one would assume they'd welcome another five million sales, no?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

care to post a (credable) link that shows this EU directive?
and if they are indeed in breech of it, i assume you have reported them as appropriate?
and why would changing to using a fritzbox comply with such a directive?
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

In the US subscribers either rent cable modems from the likes of Spectrum and Comcast or buy them. They can do this because the cable providers are required to give subscribers a choice. In the UK there is no option but to use your VM-supplied hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

but int he US the firmware us automatically replaced with the ISP firmware when the devices are connected so no real difference
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The difference is in price as rental typically costs a lot more than buying over a long period of time.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
urefos
Joining in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

fritzbox isn't a cable router, it's a DSL router”

Thats just not correct. They make both and have done for a while. It’s so easy to check things like that before posting unhelpful nonsense.