Menu
PDH2008
Joining in
Message 41 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub - alternative routers?

Hi,

Midway through the year i decided to upgrade to 200 MB Vivid gamer (from 100Mb), as i wanted the 20Mb upload for streaming.
It came with a new shiny SH3, which i went with. (had to pay £20 delivery for also), went in blind by the way, didn't read any horror stories.

After around 2 weeks after activation i started seeing really poor service, packet loss, latency etc, it was horrid! especially at peak times (6-10pm) Gaming was impossible! Wifi coverage was also poor.

After many hrs sorting on the phone and having multiple engineer visits still no change (i'm now on first name basis with the engineer!, whom, with all the will in the world, did all he could to no avail). 

As i still had my SH2ac from the previous install, I hounded them to cross it over on the account.. I managed to speak to a really helpful rep, who sorted it for me.

After approx 4 months, service has been perfect... 

This may not work for everyone, however changing to the SH2ac fixed my problem... maybe if you still have yours, get it activated!! 

HTH

Pete

0 Kudos
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 42 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Exactly what I did. Hub 3 gave me no access to my NAS and no Airplay from my Macbook 9 times out of 10. Also signal coverage was no better, if anything worse in places, so I really don't know what is supposed to be better with Hub 3 over Hub 2. There's obviously something fundamentally wrong with this hub but luckily I put the Hub 2 in the cupboard rather than in the bin as Virgin advised me to do – they didn't want it back. Explained everything to a Virgin tech guy and after checking with someone he happily stayed on the line while I swapped them and then did the necessary at his end to get it up and running again. I'm happy now but also a bit annoyed for the many people having problems and apparently getting no help from Virgin.

0 Kudos
BigStevie1973
Tuning in
Message 43 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know what wireless connection speeds you should be getting on the Hub 3.0? On my old BTHH 6 (which was located downstairs) I was able to connect at 1.3Gbps using my TP-Link AC1900 wireless network card. At present, the best connection speed I can get is 600Mbps (but invariably lower) and this time the PC and SH3 are in the same room and in direct line of sight of each other. Is there a setting I need to change or is this it? Obviously I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz fully enabled.

0 Kudos
UKRyanNewman
Joining in
Message 44 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guys,

I am also having serious issues with virgin media wifi. They won't release me from my contract and I am very unhappy. So I want to know if anyone who has bought their own router and if it solved your wifi issues?

Also is this routers any good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y2NVH4O ?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 45 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@BigStevie1973wrote:

Does anyone know what wireless connection speeds you should be getting on the Hub 3.0? On my old BTHH 6 (which was located downstairs) I was able to connect at 1.3Gbps using my TP-Link AC1900 wireless network card. At present, the best connection speed I can get is 600Mbps (but invariably lower) and this time the PC and SH3 are in the same room and in direct line of sight of each other. Is there a setting I need to change or is this it? Obviously I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz fully enabled.

You are quoting link rates not actual speeds. Bear in mind that VM's fastest download speed is 350mbps (although sometimes provisioned faster than this but never at 600mbps).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
BigStevie1973
Tuning in
Message 46 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

@BigStevie1973wrote:

You are quoting link rates not actual speeds. Bear in mind that VM's fastest download speed is 350mbps (although sometimes provisioned faster than this but never at 600mbps).

Yes and if you had actually read my question, you would've realised I was asking about WiFi link speeds!!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 47 of 63
Flag for a moderator

It's you that referred to "connection speed" of 600mbps which is it isn't - it's a link rate which marketing people might like but of no use when the actual speed will always be much less. And you were never able to "connect at 1.3Gbps" as BT doesn't provide this.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
BigStevie1973
Tuning in
Message 48 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

It's you that referred to "connection speed" of 600mbps which is it isn't - it's a link rate which marketing people might like but of no use when the actual speed will always be much less. And you were never able to "connect at 1.3Gbps" as BT doesn't provide this.

What  are you blathering about? I connected to my router at those speeds not the internet. Now, if you have nothing constructive to offer, would you kindly *** off!!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

smithhampton
Settling in
Message 49 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode doesn't fix the issues with the SH3 but it makes it slightly easier to live with.

0 Kudos
Cubecrazy
Tuning in
Message 50 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I’m moving house soon a and will take the opportunity to ditch virgin for one simple reason.

- so-called “SuperHub 3.0”

its a joke and a rip off. 

If if your gonna monopolise the management of your modem, then have the decency to provide something that’s not as useful as a brick being used as a floatation device.

Appalling.