Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub - alternative routers?

If you read those links above, a new router won't help. The issue is the modem and you still need to use that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 32 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Since changing to the SH3 from my SH2ac, my TV no longer shows thumbnails for my media on my network. This issue started on day 1 of installing the SH3, didn't have this issue on my SH2ac, but when I spoke to the technical department they told me it was a problem with my TV! Just to make sure, I contacted Sony who carried out various troubleshooting checks, and confirmed it wasn't my TV, but more likely to do with my router. This was also confirmed by plugging a USB directly into my TV, to which my media was displayed with the thumbnails.
I then spoke to the technical department again, and they put me through to some gaget department, who said they'd be able to sort out my problem but I'd have to pay as the problem is likely to be my TV. I then explained yet again agiain that the problem only occurred since the SH3, but all they said was that my router was fine as I had connection with good speed (sigh)
I then spoke to other department again, who eventually said that they would downgrade me back to the SH2ac (yay) waited in all day today only to receive the dreaded SH3 again !!!!!
Spoke to 151 who said they don't do the SH2ac anymore blah blah blah, pit me through to other techies yet again, to have to explain myself for the 100th time again, to be told the same scripted waffle that it's my TV etc etc. They just don't want to admit or take responsibility that the SH3 is to blame. Awful router, awful service, I'm only with VM because no other providers in my area, otherwise I wouldn't be with them given the choice.

Still no thumbnails btw which is really frustrating !!
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Please see the "Intel Puma 6 Chipset issues" thread about the likely reasons for the HUB 3.0 latency and dropped packets problem. Also see my latest post in that thread for a more permanent / acceptable solution!

It's a hardware design flaw, specifically relying on an Intel Atom CPU driven by the software / firmware to move packets and data rather than utilising a specially designed chip for the job, this is essentially software replacing the job of dedicated hardware and it seems it is buggy and kills the Hub 3.0 CPU hence why you need to reboot at LEAST daily in my view.

There is also the issue of if the CPU is powerful enough to do the job under certain loads i.e. the zero size UDP packet DOS attack being just one issue to content with. If the CPU is NOT powerful enough then no proper firmware fix is possible, period, and at best the problem may then only be fudged, masked, or hidden from the user facing stats rather than being actually fixed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 34 of 63
Flag for a moderator

From http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/virgin-media-prep-firmware-fix-superhub-3-latency-packe...:

UPDATE 20th June 2017:

Last week we asked for an update on the Intel Puma 6 latency fix for Virgin Media’s SuperHub 3 (aka – Hub 3.0) routers and were told that the field trials of a new firmware update are due to “begin shortly“. Sadly we don’t know any more than that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 35 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know of a cheap and reliable router I can purchase with similar specification as Superhub 2ac that is VoIP compatible with cheap being the operative word? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 36 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I recently upgraded to V6 which came with Hub 3. From the first day with this hub nine times out of ten when I start up my Macbook my NAS drive doesn't connect and Airplay isn't available. I intend to call up and see if I can get my last Hub 2 AC reactivated (it's still in the cupboard) but failing that would modem mode and a router help - from what I've read here probably not but what do you all think?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 37 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@jaburmester wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap and reliable router I can purchase with similar specification as Superhub 2ac that is VoIP compatible with cheap being the operative word? 

Thank you.

You are looking for a dual band 802.11ac router with five gigabit ports, and the facility to disable SIP ALG in case a VOIP phone requires this. Try the TP-Link Archer C7 or Archer C5.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 38 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Can you please advise an alternative router for under £100? I have a medium sized three/four bedroom house and signal loss across the house isn't huge from the Virgin Hub, but I have an extender for those far flung corners. 5G signal loss is pretty bad though. I'm going to stick the Virgin piece of crap into modem mode and switch to a decent budget router. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 39 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Did you get any replies to this? Hi. Can you please advise an alternative router for under £100? I have a medium sized three/four bedroom house and signal loss across the house isn't huge from the Virgin Hub, but I have an extender for those far flung corners. 5G signal loss is pretty bad though. I'm going to stick the Virgin piece of crap into modem mode and switch to a decent budget router. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 40 of 63
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos