Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub - alternative routers?

i use an Asus N66U with the superhub V2 in modem mode. i wish i could use a third party modem though as the superhub is far from super even as a modem

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@JohnCusick wrote:

i wish i could use a third party modem though as the superhub is far from super even as a modem

Well no and only yes because of the hub 3 if an ISP can't put out a reliable modem they shouldn't be a ISP I mean a modem how hard is that for them to give out and does not have latency or connection issue. And if they fail to do that then yes we should be able to get are own modem not that VM would allow it and even if they did they say we don't support your modem if there is a issue in the area meaning you have to swap over to show look problem then swap back but not going to happen.

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 13 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Just to balance out here.

I've been using SH's in modem mode since SH1. Now on Hub3.

Can't complain as I don't get the SH3 port flapping, so that's good. However, everything else is running fine. I very rarely reboot or need to. Last uptime was well over 3 months, and only rebooted due to a power outage in the area.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gkinghrn, I had loads of trouble with sonos devices / whole system disappearing, SONOS said there is a known issue withVM super hub 3, i spoke to VM who asked what had SONOS used as a work around previously? They also suggested static IP and MAC & IP address binding (really clumsy on VM Hub).

I then turned my VM super hub in to modem mode, installed a ASUS RT-N66U (easy set up) works a treat... I still did the static IP address 1.2 - 1.49 on SONOS, NAS and a couple of other items but this is so much easier on ASUS than VM super hub.

Hope you get fixed up... JC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I had a asus RT-AC68U router in my old house and it was great, how can i use this with my new virgin 200mbps package, can anyone help me out with an idiots guide to this, please

cheers 

trubluru

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 16 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi trubluru, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know that you're also having some troubles with speeds, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tried to run some checks on your connection from here, however I was unable to locate any of your details via your forum account. I will require some information from you in order to proceed with diagnostics.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Exactly, I would rather have sky with a lower speed but stable connection..  Its just shocking.. I have heard that the router superhub 3 has issues namely the CPU which is in it,.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same mindset. Great speeds and works fine on other devices but the main reason I have broadband is for online gaming and I can't do that anymore since hub3 entered my life.

How a company that takes an ever increasing amount of money from its customers can get away with dishing out shoddy hardware is beyond me.

Customer services have always been a joke and if you ask them anything outwith their basically scripted response training they are clearly out of their depth and powerless to help.

I took my console round to a friends house that has superhub 2ac and lo and behold. Online gaming worked fine. But virgin are adamant it's not the superhub3s fault.
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 19 of 63
Flag for a moderator

it is a cheap get you started router, not a full on gaming router. Put it in modem mode & go buy your own. ( for a tiny fraction of the cost of a state of the art gaming rig- hell you can spend more on a gaming mouse than on a decent fit-for-gaming router  ) 

I have hub 3 and it runs fine at the advertised speed almost all of the time.  & does all I ask of it

a better "free" hub would cost more & drive up everyone's fees.

I don't play online games, why should subsidise those who do.

ditto for the guys who expect their hubs to control their teenager's lifestyles, or have businesses to run.  I am with the guys who think all you should get for free is a basic but ultra-reliable cable modem, you then buy the rest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 20 of 63
Flag for a moderator

One problem with your comments...
Virgin advertise for great gaming speeds and are NOT providing the service as advertices.. the hub3 as issues with the CPU...