Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 unresponsive in modem mode - replacement needed

Hi ...

I've just taken my network down in order to change the TV stand, and now the SH3 is unresponsive with a solid red/magenta light.

I've swapped out the SH3 for a 4G-sim router and everything is fine, yet as soon as I take the network cable out of the working router and put it back into the SH3, I get nothing.

I can't connect to the SH3 using the network cable directly into my laptop.

I've checked all of the cabling and it's fine.

Even the Virgin box is working fine.

My issue seems to be that the SH3 has developed a fault.  

Q: How do I get a replacement? (BTW, this isn't the first time this has happened).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 unresponsive in modem mode - replacement needed

If the hub works in router mode on all ports it should work in modem mode.

What router model do you have for the hub?

Does your laptop have a Ethernet port?

Have you powered off the hub for 2mins and connect a device to it on a different port? Or changed the WAN MAC on your router to one of your devices?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It’s a SuperHub 3 (SH3).

Ports are not working, as I’ve tested it thoroughly with my MacBook.

I’ve been  network admin for many years now and so, as they say, this isn’t my first rodeo ... 😊

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do the ports work in router mode? and you can get to 192.168.0.1?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No and no.

This is why I’m trying to get in touch with Virgin for a replacement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can contact VM to report the problem using ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is weekdays 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi CoachKidd

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the router issue. I can see you spoke to the team since posting. Is everything all sorted? Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Filling the above advice, I ended up calling ... after a 30 minute wait, the front-line help desk guy talked me into switching the SH3 into router mode... and everything mysteriously worked.

For future reference, here’s what I’ve discovered in this experience:

• In modem mode, a laptop can connect to the internet on any of the ports, despite tech support claims that only port-4 will work
  • in modem mode, no other type of device (Apple TV box, Smart TV, TiVo, etc) can connect to the internet on *any* port
  • putting the SH3 into router mode and killing the WiFi is the workaround for modem mode not working correctly
  • if the SH3 is restarted (as can happen when moving furniture about, etc) check the software version when it comes back up, as it may have been updated when it reboots, which breaks a previously perfectly working network 
  • The VM support model, scaling back and using the community as free 1st line support gives a sub-optimal customer experience 
  • given the current COVID-19 situation and the growing reliance on internet connectivity to support remote working, VM’s policy to scale back support is a commercial mistake - people will remember this
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@CoachKidd wrote:

.....snip

For future reference, here’s what I’ve discovered in this experience:

• In modem mode, a laptop can connect to the internet on any of the ports, despite tech support claims that only port-4 will work
    That is correct, on older models/firmware only the closest port to the cable input would be 'live', this isn't true for newer firmware revisions on the Hub 3 at least but this is probably where the confusion comes from.

• in modem mode, no other type of device (Apple TV box, Smart TV, TiVo, etc) can connect to the internet on *any* port
    Actually no, in theory at least, any device would have internet access, but they would be given a public (WAN) IP address which they may not know how to deal with. Also it would be a bit pointless as that would be the only device that would have internet access.
  • putting the SH3 into router mode and killing the WiFi is the workaround for modem mode not working correctly
    Yes that can work but modem mode does work, there can be a few fun and games getting your own router talking to it properly though

• if the SH3 is restarted (as can happen when moving furniture about, etc) check the software version when it comes back up, as it may have been updated when it reboots, which breaks a previously perfectly working network
    Personally I've never encountered a firmware update resetting the config and it really shouldn't, but there are a number of posts here confirming that this has happened so possibly. VM do from time to time push updates out anyway irrespective of whether the Hub is manually rebooted. One thing you can do is to backup the current Hub config and store it somewhere so that you could alway restore it back if and when needed.

• The VM support model, scaling back and using the community as free 1st line support gives a sub-optimal customer experience
    I'm not even going to try to argue with this one!

• given the current COVID-19 situation and the growing reliance on internet connectivity to support remote working, VM’s policy to scale back support is a commercial mistake - people will remember this
    Again, I can't really argue, but I would add that you will be surprised just how short most people's memories can be!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@CoachKidd wrote:

No its not you just need to change the MAC and allow the hub to be off when in modem mode for 2mins to allow a MAC.

0 Kudos