Menu
Adkinsan
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Super hubs

I have a super hub 3 for the main router, can I run the old super hub 2 as an extender, if so could you tell me how please?

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hubs

I think you can...

I know someone was posting about this earlier (with a Sky hub) - I'll try and dig out the the post!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This is the way to do it with a BT Hub:

Re-purposing an old Home-Hub 2.0 router as a wi-fi extender.
Just give the hub you are going to use an extender an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the main hub

Disable DHCP on it and connect it to the main hub via Ethernet cable LAN port to LAN

Look down this thread for VM instructions!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/3074...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This definitely can work (I did it with a Superhub 1 as a rainy day project), but set your expectations to low.  The wifi quality of most ISP hubs is low, and the Hub 3 and SH2 aren't designed to work together as a mesh system, so you need to manually manage network names and channels.  

Personally I'd always recommend biting the bullet and buying either a cheap wireless access point if you don't need smooth and continuous wifi coverage, or a mesh system (with Hub 3 in modem mode) if you do want excellent smooth coverage.  I plumped for a TP-LInk Deco M4 mesh and it's been superb.  And in most situations you won't need to link secondary mesh units up by ethernet whereas you will have to with a recycled SH2 or a wireless access point.  The practicality of long ethernet runs depends on your circumstances, but they can be a right pain to do neatly, safely (mainly trip hazards) and securely.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos