Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Super hub 3 doesn't reconnect after VM broadband outage

We had a short outage this morning just after 9am. After 15 minutes I still had no service even though my neighbour told me he was back up and working. I checked my SH and it had a slow flashing green light. I checked on the hubs webpage was it showing a "connection not authorised" (or similar message). After waiting another 10 minutes with no change, I power cycled the hub and 2 minutes later it was up and working. It's fine when I'm at home when this happens because I'm here to power cycle it, but I'm not always here. It's then a real pain as I can't VPN into my house / security cameras etc.  

So my question is, why do I have to power cycle my hub to get the connection back? Does everyone have to do this or is it an issue with my SH3 ?    BTW, this isn't a one-off, I've had to do this many times this year already. 

I could automate a power cycle of the hub if I lose my internet connection but I'm aware that VM occasionally push out  firmware and config updates which cause an outage anyway. I don't want to power cycle the hub it it's updating so I'm not sure how long to wait before it is safe. Anyone have any ideas?  

Cheers

Graeme  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super hub 3 doesn't reconnect after VM broadband outage

Ah the good old turn it off and on again. In theory, the Super Hub should be able to re-establish it's WAN connection in most cases after outages, but as you've found it sometimes might need manual intervention.

As a general observation you are more likely to auto-recover if your are using your Super Hub in router mode, when you have modem mode in play sometimes your router may need to be cycled as well given the WAN connection is passed through. However, as you've found sometimes a hard power cycle is the only thing that will work regardless and that's just the way it is in a lot of cases. It's dependant on the network interruption and if the Super Hub can obtain a DHCP lease again without rebooting, as you've found, sometimes it cannot.

Because of the lack of official command line (Telnet/SSH) access to the Super Hub, you won't be able to schedule any restart or automatic cron scripts directly. There would be alternative ways to do it using another device or perhaps macros, unless you had something that can shut off the PSU power programatically, the chance of interrupting a firmware update is probably quite low, but possible. You wouldn't really have anyway to determine this, given there is no direct API for the Super Hub.

The best you can probably do is have some form of monitoring on your WAN IPv4 and get notified if you start to get request timeouts. You could also monitor any of the current services you are running as if the WAN goes down, there all going down with it. That will tell you if you need to perhaps reboot your Super Hub.

The fact this is however a regular occurrence suggests that a call to Virgin might be in order, if there are problems with your area or more specifically your line/cabinet. Outages happen but you shouldn't be experiencing full loss like that too many times.

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super hub 3 doesn't reconnect after VM broadband outage

Is there anything in the logs or network status that gives a clue to why you're getting frequent loss of service?  If you can narrow down the options it may help VM to pinpoint the cause, and (should you be brave enough to phone 150) you might have evidence to stop the offshore shirkers from fobbing you off.

0 Kudos