cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 5 availability

10gbnetwork
Tuning in

Any news on a more general roll out for the superhub 5? I use my own WiFi 6 access points but want to use the 2.5gb ethernet connection so I can finally experience the maximum 1gb download speeds.

Early adopters have the initial issues with the Superhub 5 been resolved?

Does anyone use UniFi and have the Superhub 5 connected with a 10 gb transceiver?

Thanks

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@10gbnetwork wrote:

Virgin should really have skipped WiFi 6 and started to work on 6e. That will be a game changer as it supports over 1gb connections and uses new frequencies.  

Virgin Media (through Liberty Global) use partner companies for their Hubs. Previously it was Arris/Commscope, and for the Hub 5 it's Sagemcom.

As far as I can tell, neither company currently offer DOCSIS 3.1 gateways with WiFi 6E, so Virgin Media couldn't work on something that doesn't yet exist.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 10gbnetwork,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. The hub 5 is still on a soft launch, so hopefully you may hear something soon.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Any further update on this ?

No.  Very quiet. To be honet I am probably one of the few people who have a 10gb network at home.  So would actually more of an advantage to Virgin from me using this device. Dont use the WiFi pods as I have my own WiFi 6 access points which I think limits roll out to 1 gigabyte customers.  Oh well.... 

I am starting to expiriment using 5g vs fibre broadband. Always good to have choice particularly the way Virgin media service is these days. My BT line is terrible for speed but get 300 to 400 mbps on 5g. So I now have a choice to kick virgin into touch vs not having an alternative. Really in terms of speed that is a good sweet spot with anything faster tending to be more marketing vs having much of a difference.  Even to a heavy Internet users like myself.  

Also the huawei 5g router has WiFi 6.. Choices maybe? vs waiting for Virgin to eventually roll out the new router.  Getting on for 12 months since initial launch so suggests there are issues anyway? 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @10gbnetwork,

Thanks for coming back to us about this. Any updates we have will be shown on our Customer News page. You can stay up to date with all new information regarding our systems and company.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The next generation of WIFI will be out before VM release the Hub5. 🙂

It will be old hat by the time of general release. Everything else would have moved on.

Your right.  I have been using WiFi 6 for over 1 and a half years not. It is not a massive step forward in performance. Doubt many people will actually see any benefits.

Virgin should really have skipped WiFi 6 and started to work on 6e. That will be a game changer as it supports over 1gb connections and uses new frequencies.  

If it takes them over 12 months to roll out what is essentially a small technological step forward. It is not looking promising for the future. 

I would prefer not to have to use the Virgin routers and pick my own kit that I can upgrade when I want.  I am hoping mobile 5g will mean I actually have a choice of providers at my location.  Looking promising at the moment that I will leave Virgin and save the £100 per month I pay.  

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@10gbnetwork wrote:

Virgin Media (through Liberty Global) use partner companies for their Hubs. Previously it was Arris/Commscope, and for the Hub 5 it's Sagemcom.

As far as I can tell, neither company currently offer DOCSIS 3.1 gateways with WiFi 6E, so Virgin Media couldn't work on something that doesn't yet exist.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Well I can see wifi 6e consumer devices are available. I have access to some early access products that are 6e capable as well. 

If Virgin does not have access to WiFi 6e equipment then illustrates the point that has already been made.  Not an excuse that the hardware does not exist as it is available in the market already. Hardly like the WiFi chipset is not being manufactured. Some examples of WiFi 6e vs old technology below:

Netgear Nighthawk RAXE500 (Wi-Fi 6E)1125Mbps
Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12 (Wi-Fi 6E)1153Mbps
Netgear Orbi RBK750 (Wi-Fi 6)706Mbps
Virgin Media Super Hub 3 (Wi-Fi 5)615Mbps

If I had one to test I would expect super hub 5 will have a marginal increase in speed vs. Super hub 3. WiFi 6e is going to give you approx 60% improvement and max out a gigabyte connection.

Long roll out times for the super hub 5 are not good. Promising speeds of over 1 Gb with no way of accessing them is not good either. Borderline false advertising with my over 1 gigabyte Internet speed when I can't actually access that speed. 

@BenMcr wrote:

@BenMcr wrote:

@10gbnetwork wrote:

@10gbnetwork wrote:

@BenMcr wrote:

@10gbnetwork wrote:

@BenMcr wrote:

@10gbnetwork wrote:

Thanks

Andy 

Is the 1Gig speed not possible then ?

Because I have just signed a new contract based on this !!!