cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 4 No Modem Mode Available(1 Gbps Connection)

AJ95
On our wavelength

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well today.

I really hope that you can help me. I had a new installation of Virgin 1 Gbps service today with a Super Hub 4.

However, the admin interface does not offer Modem Mode. Is this expected? I have provided a screenshot below since one strange thing is that the hub is a Super Hub 4 (black with a white ring light) but identifies as a Hub Version 2.0 in its admin interface

VirginSuperHub4.png

I really hope I am doing something simple wrong. If not, I will be cancelling this service before the 14 day cooling off period, I bought a very expensive router to use with this and right now I can't.

Please let me know if I can provide any other details. Thank you in advance for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@AJ95 wrote:

@legacy1: Yes, I'm based in Ireland. Does that change anything?

Yes your a guinea pig over there you need to call up Ireland VM and ask for IPv4 and modem mode firmware.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It will take a while before your image is cleared by moderator,  but are you sure you are looking at the Hub version and not a firmware or other number?  What you describe sounds like a Hub4 (not a superhub).

If you have trouble logging on to the Hub,  try a factory reset by holding the pin switch down for 30+ seconds and letting the Hub restart in its own time. Then you should be able to log in at 192.168.0.1.   Make sure you are using the correct password- not the WiFi one.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

AJ95
On our wavelength

Hi jpeg1,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm absolutely sure the Hub is identifying as an SH2 since when I visit 192.168.0.1, it says, "Sign in to view or modify your Virgin Media Hub 2.0 settings"

I can log onto the hub just fine at 192.168.0.1 and yes I am using the admin setting password and not the WiFi password.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
From Ireland?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi AJ95,

To my eyes the interface is a hub2 interface.

On the base of your hub does it say hub2 or hub 4?

I found a video on YT showing how to switch to modem mode (I only have a hub 3 but it's exactly the same) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7gTgR4j5g 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

AJ95
On our wavelength

@newapollo: You're correct. My hub shows as Hub 2 on its base. I'm really confused. I thought only a Hub 4 could be used for a 1 Gbps connection.

Also that video you kindly linked to shows the hub I have in its design but that video shows 5 options on the left side of the admin page. As you saw in my screenshot, only 4 are present on mine.

If I've been mislead in the purchasing of this service that's going to be another reason to cancel it. Thanks for your help.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You're on the Virgin UK site.  The service is different in Ireland. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@AJ95 wrote:

Yes your a guinea pig over there you need to call up Ireland VM and ask for IPv4 and modem mode firmware.

AJ95
On our wavelength

@jpeg1: I knew I was on the UK support site but the support here in the past has been fantastic, hence why I returned. There is no forum for Ireland, just social media and Whatsapp (which I never seem to receive a response on). This website was better than making a call. Thanks anyway.

@legacy1: Ok, I'll try and ask for IPv4 and modem mode firmware but the last time I uttered the words "modem mode" when speaking with tech support and sales here in Ireland, they just go quiet and act like you didn't even say those words and move onto something else. I realise its an unsupported option but we should still have the option.

Thanks very much 🙂

P.S: I'll call them and then mark this thread as resolved or not.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Without modem mode I wouldn't be here now. The inbuilt router is far too limited in function.

- jpeg1