Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 modem mode and ethernet cable to TV

If I want to set my super hub 3 to modem mode (to allow me to use a Google Nest Wifi mesh router) can I keep the ethernet cable that goes directly into my smart TV plus the 2nd ethernet cable (which goes to my Virgin V6 box) - as well as having the cable to the Google Nest router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 modem mode and ethernet cable to TV

No, as soon as the Hub goes into Modem mode only one ethernet port is active.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can use the ethernet port on the first Nest unit to connect hardware. You might be better using it to add a ~£20 unmanaged GB ethernet switch - to give you 4-8 additional active ethernet ports.

EDIT: Just a thought - does that Nest unit actually have an ethernet port  - I have never actually seen one?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, it looks like it does - see below. My main concern is that after all that unplugging and reconnecting cables, is that I'm left with nothing actually working!

two Ethernet ports
It takes two devices to make up a Nest Wi-Fi network. The first is the Nest Wi-Fi router and is connected to your internet provider's modem. It has two Ethernet ports and is slightly bigger than the Nest Wi-Fi point, the second device that makes up Nest Wi-Fi.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK good. The set up needs to be done like this.

Put the hub into modem mode as per VM website instructions and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off.
Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave it 5 min) and then plug in the WAN cable to the VM hub.
Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection.
Cnnect the other mesh nodes as per Google instructions
This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is the setup you need.

Hub in modem mode --> Nest WiFi router --> network switch --> Nest WiFi point
                                                          --> Smart TV
                                                          --> V6
                                                          --> any other devices

Check out my sig for an example of a network switch.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Roger - just to clarify, if I purchase a Google Nest Wifi router with two ethernet ports, and I want to use two ethernet cables (to V6 box and smart TV respectively) then presumably I won't need a network switch?

** edited - I've just realised after watching a YouTube video, that one of the Google Nest router's ethernet sockets will connect to the VM Super Hub, only leaving one ethernet socket free, so on that basis I'll obviously need a switch to connect to my smart TV!  Thanks again for your help! ***

0 Kudos