Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 intermittent internet on 5Ghz only on 1 laptop

Hi 

I have a superhub 3 setup for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz as setup by a virgin media tech support to fix issues i had a year ago.with intermittent connection on all devices. 

both work fine but on my work dell laptop the 5ghz connection intermittently shows as no internet.  if i disconnect and reconnect again on the laptop it works.  This happens about 30 to 40 times throughout the day, when i use this laptop at work it is also connected to a 5ghz network and it doesn't disconnect once i average about -67db wifi strength at work and -61db at home.  I have the latest wifi drivers installed, windows 10 (updated).  I have my phone also on 5ghz right next to the laptop and it doesn't disconnect or show any connection related issues.  I have other devices in the house also on 5ghz they are not affected at all.  I have used a wifi app on my phone to see the available wifi signals in the area and i have moved to a different channel where no one else is but i still have the same issue. 

It is clearly a problem between the superhub 3 and the wifi card in my laptop (Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz)  and i am guessing it's either a setting or an incompatibility.  The fact that i can just disconnect and reconnect again suggest to me its a software/driver problem, but i have the latest driver and i assume the superhub is automatically updated by virgin.    

I haven't left it long enough on 2.4ghz to see if it does the same thing but that's beside the point it should work flawlessly on 5ghz.  

i am quite technical minded but this one has me stumped, does anybody have any suggestions i could try?     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 intermittent internet on 5Ghz only on 1 laptop

Your likely right but VM are not going to do any thing about it so you may have to get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use modem mode or you can wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I have a similar issue but my laptop has the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 160 MHz card. The Super Hub 3 is not able to support this card at high speeds but if you change the setting on the Super Hub 3 for 5 GHz and set Channel Width to 20/40 MHz  and try switching "Smart WiFi" to disabled. 

SuperHub3.JPG

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Found that while ago but would have posted something online but unfortunately Virgin Media services have been nothing but a pain. 

From the complaints team we agreed for an engineer to come onsite and was assured that someone would turn up, took the day off and waited and waited but no one turned up. I spent over 2hrs being transferred from one team to another and having to repeat myself again and again. I’ve had a complete service outage in the entire area for about 23hrs and no compensation. In fact Virgin Media denied that the service ever went down!  Virgin media also managed not to transfer/import my landline number but kept consistently telling me that I needed to wait 14 days before the number gets transferred over to them. I’m pretty frustrated with the consistent lies that each department tells you and not knowing who to trust. 

The Hatred and constant lies and the service has somewhat left me in the position that I would want to leave virgin media ASAP. However i was threaten with actions should I leave them and would be expected to pay costs for the entire length of the remaining contract period.  When the time comes, I will be moving back to my slow ADSL reliable service.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello gauharandsaamia

Thanks for your post. Sorry you have had a few issue recently. 

Regarding the loss of service compensation 

We would only credit back for anything over 48 hours 

Our compensation policy is here should you require it in the future 

https://virginmedia.com/Ofcom

Regrading your landline we have spoke about that previously on this Forum and from my understanding the Sky number was disconnected which deemed the port impossible to do 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

My virgin media service has dropped out a number of times since I signed up with Virgin media. This is unacceptable especially when the phone line dies along with the broadband. This drop out has occurred a minimum of 5 times. When I compare this to the ADSL service I had with Sky not once did my service go down.

In regards to my lost phone number, I gave virgin media the benefit of the doubt and did all the running around keeping everyone informed of my line transfer. I did the chasing around even after the service went live. Now if you teams tell me to wait 14 days and then another 14days - that’s almost a month gone for a line transfer.  Gareth you failed to address the consistent lies and misinformation and advice given to me by all your depts. 

Let’s accept that virgin Media’s service is below average, it does not adhere to the ITIL standards nor care about its customers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying gauharandsaamia

I can see its been online for the last 19 days from here

When was the last drop out?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

New update, in the last 7 days my service has gone down twice and every time I check the app for virgin media service status it says it’s up! I’ve ended up doing the same thing on both days checking the cables rebooting the router. 

I dis call the call centre in India which doesn’t seem to know much so I’ve ended up booking out an engineer. I’m waiting for the engineer to turn up but let’s see if the engineer does turn up. 

0 Kudos