Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 and Virgin Booster

We have a SuperHub 3, which works fine (copes with all our devices), but signal strength in the kitchen, one of the bedroom and in the back garden are v poor/unreliable, so after testing with the new Virgin connected App, we got Virgin's Range Booster that uses the house wiring to link a signal booster to the Hub.  It set up fine, and gave the extra coverage needed, but after a while (hours, not days) we got the following issues:

• Devices showed they were linked to the WiFi, but had no internet connection; 
  • My son's iPhone kept disconnecting from the wifi when near the Range Booster every time he put phone in screen save mode, and needed manually re-connecting;
  • Some devices wouldn't connect to anything when near the Range Booster.

I tried the 'trick' of going into the Hub settings and stopping it automatically switching channels, but that didn't sort the problem.  Whenever I reboot the Booster we get an hour or so 'better' coverage, then it drops.  

I've also read a lot of messages elsewhere on the topic, but too much of a layman to understand - eg how can I know what channel might be strongest to 'lock' the 5GJz or 2.4GHz to a specific one (if that's actually the right terminology)? Why does that even work?   

Is the Range Booster faulty? Badly set up? Or don't they do what they say - boost the effective range? 

(Helpful) suggestions welcome. 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 and Virgin Booster

Sorry to hear that mrp61

Does this happen often, It is not something I have seen before in all honesty, Have you tried disconnecting the boosters and reconnect them all up, almost like setting them all up again?
I have had to this with my own in the past and it seems to have done the trick when being a bit temperamental.

Thanks Joe_F 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

unfortunately, it happens every time I switch the booster on for more than an hour or two. I’ve taken to leaving it off, as devices that latch on to the booster whilst the booster is on eventually become unable to access the internet (despite showing as WiFi connected), even when moved back near to the hub3, until the booster is switched off.

Seeing the forum there seem to be lots of people with issues with connectivity on hub3 and/or with the virgin booster. Unbelievable.  Suggests customer satisfaction isn’t high on the priority list, or a “fix” would have been found by now. Is a hub4 due???.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I understand that certain settings within the 'hub can impact the performance of WiFi boosters - specifically the 'intelligent WiFi' function & band-steering (the function you mentioned in your initial post with 2g & 5g).

Can you please try logging into your hub's settings (you can do this by entering 192.168.0.1 into your web-browsers address bar) and log in using the details from the label on your hub (make sure you use the settings password rather than the one you'd usually use to connect).

Once you're logged in, please try disabling the Intelligent WiFi function. You may find that change alone helps. If not, please also try 'splitting' the 2ghz & 5ghz bands - this is done simply by re-naming both bands respectively. Once that's done they will show up as separate connections on your devices. Some customers have told me that following these steps improves things enough that they don't need the booster kit any more - I do hope that's the case here.

If you still feel the booster is needed, the best band to connect your boosters to depends & may involve some trial & error. As a general rule though 2ghz offers longer range but isn't so fast. 5ghz won't reach so far & not all devices are compatible, but does offer a better connection if it's available.

When you've been able to give these steps a try please let us know how you get on. 

Tom

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have the virgin media WiFi booster that is up and running but i wanted to split it so that i have a choice whether to connect to the hub 3.0 or the booster. How do i do that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Give the Booster and Hub different SSID's and connect as required.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How exactly do i do that? I can't access the booster settings, it gives me an error.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sufy wrote:

How exactly do i do that? I can't access the booster settings, it gives me an error.

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_Media_WiFi_Booster_setup.pdf

Customise booster WiFi settings

0 Kudos