Menu
RossHJ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 and Deco M5 - Simply won't connect!

Hi All,

Apologies for the newbie question, that's probably been asked 100 times before.

I'm simply trying to extend the range of my wifi around the house and I am totally new to this.

I have followed the instructions on the app, but every time i get 'It looks like Deco is not properly connected'.

I have tried 'i don't have a modem' option and the message I get is 'Check if the ethernet cable is plugged in properly'. It is!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Could someone please explain in simple terms what I need to do to connect the Deco to the VM Super Hub 3? 

Many thanks 🙂

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 and Deco M5 - Simply won't connect!

Try another cable.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are you trying to set the deco up with the hub in modem mode or in router mode?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do it again in this sequence.

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and leave 5 minutes you should now get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RossHJ
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Just followed those steps exactly and still no go. Would you expect to see the lights on the ports flashing? It's like the ports aren't working. Here's the message I get from the Deco app... 

Screenshot_20210220-210745_Deco.jpg

 light is purple on the hub...

0 Kudos
RossHJ
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've tried both, it just won't have it at all.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@RossHJ wrote:

Would you expect to see the lights on the ports flashing? It's like the ports aren't working. Here's the message I get from the Deco app... 

can't see your image yet - but if when you connect the primary deco to the hub via ethernet you don't get any link lights on the hubs ethernet port, then try a different cable.. 

0 Kudos
RossHJ
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Turns out it was the cable! Brand new out of the box and didn't work. Very poor. 

All up and running now. Thankyou all for your advice and help.