Menu
deanasfreddie
Joining in
Message 41 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 Modem Mode

Hi - I am on vivid 200mb speed.  I originally had the SH3 on its own as a router but I couldn't even get a signal in the dining room and didn't see all the posts about the issues regarding signal strength from the SH3 until I had already signed up.  Anyways to my point;

I have bought an external router a TP-Link Archer C60, not the greatest I know but should do the job.  Everything connects ok, the SH3 is in modem mode with the purple light on but I am getting terrible speeds.  It's like the speed is capped when its set up like this.  In both wifi from the new router and also right now I type this with a cat7 ethermet cable directly in the TP router and doing speed test I'm only getting around 70mb download speed, a far cry from the promised 200mb.

I have read a few threads and its a little confusing, some saying match mac address, some saying when in modem mode it seems the SH3 almost halves your download capability, I would just like to know if there is anything I can do, like a step by step guide. 

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 42 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@deanasfreddie wrote:

Hi - I am on vivid 200mb speed.  I originally had the SH3 on its own as a router but I couldn't even get a signal in the dining room and didn't see all the posts about the issues regarding signal strength from the SH3 until I had already signed up.  Anyways to my point;

I have bought an external router a TP-Link Archer C60, not the greatest I know but should do the job.  Everything connects ok, the SH3 is in modem mode with the purple light on but I am getting terrible speeds.  It's like the speed is capped when its set up like this.  In both wifi from the new router and also right now I type this with a cat7 ethermet cable directly in the TP router and doing speed test I'm only getting around 70mb download speed, a far cry from the promised 200mb.

I have read a few threads and its a little confusing, some saying match mac address, some saying when in modem mode it seems the SH3 almost halves your download capability, I would just like to know if there is anything I can do, like a step by step guide. 

Cheers Smiley Happy

You need to get a better router as the TP-Link Archer C60 only has 100Mb ports.

https://www.tp-link.com/la/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C60.html#specifications

0 Kudos
deanasfreddie
Joining in
Message 43 of 50
Flag for a moderator

flipping heck, so why do the wireless speeds indicated speeds way and above that then?  The Superhub3 has an awful range which we all know about - do you think power extenders would work and dump the tplink router?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
neilb19061
Joining in
Message 44 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Whats the difference between the Hub 3 being in router mode with both WiFi radios deactivated, and Modem mode?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 45 of 50
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode only one Ethernet port is active. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
PaulM_SW8
Joining in
Message 46 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@neilb19061 wrote:

Whats the difference between the Hub 3 being in router mode with both WiFi radios deactivated, and Modem mode?

I'm interested in the answer to this too... and the more general question of, what exactly IS the benefit of Modem mode? I've been running my SH3 into an Archer C9, but I just turn off the SH wifi.
Does Modem mode somehow give you a single connection without the NAT, is that the point? Currently my configuration gives me a double NAT, but functionally it isn't a problem.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 47 of 50
Flag for a moderator

The Hub in modem mode does what it says on the tin, the Hub becomes a modem with all routing and wireless features disabled including NAT and DHCP.

Running a Router with the Hub in router mode on a WAN connection means you will have two instances of NAT running (double NAT) and two DHCP servers issuing clients with LAN IP addresses, which should work in principle on first come first served basis but very often causes problems so it is not recommended. Obviously you will have two sets of Wireless Access Points running as well.

Decent third party routers can have a wider range of features than the Hub like DDNS, QoS and Parental controls to mention a few.
Also you should see performance benefits due to superior hardware, depending on the third party router.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 48 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@PaulM_SW8 wrote:

@neilb19061 wrote:

I'm interested in the answer to this too... and the more general question of, what exactly IS the benefit of Modem mode? I've been running my SH3 into an Archer C9, but I just turn off the SH wifi.
Does Modem mode somehow give you a single connection without the NAT, is that the point? Currently my configuration gives me a double NAT, but functionally it isn't a problem.

I bet that Griffin gets in ahead of me!

With the Hub 3 in router mode with wireless deactivated, there is little if any performance distinction compared with modem mode should only one Ethernet port be used on the Hub.  If you use several Ethernet ports on the Hub 3, of which one feeds your own router (with DHCP disabled so thjat there is no double Natting) then again, there is little downside , albeit that a single Ethernet port is carrying the external router's 2.4GHz and 5GHz traffic.  

Modem mode channels everything through a single Hub 3 Ethernet port and disables Hub 3 wireless.  If you require advanced router facilities and better wireless performance, then you'd use modem mode with your preferred router; it's as simple as that.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 49 of 50
Flag for a moderator

The speed typing course is paying off!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 50 of 50
Flag for a moderator

DDNS feature on routers work based on the IP given to the router and if it behind NAT the wrong IP is sent for your DDNS to work.

0 Kudos