Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 DHCP Lease Time

Hi. 

Some time ago I changed the lease time to 1 day. But IP addresses assigned to several devices weeks ago, which are no longer connected to the network have not been released. Seems the addresses are very very sticky. Any workarounds/ideas?  The lease time setting doesn't seem to do anything. Annoying, as I add new tech and replace old, IP count is going up. 

sH

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 DHCP Lease Time

What’s the issue?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does the lease time setting actually work on the hub? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Some time ago I changed the lease time to 1 day. But IP addresses assigned to several devices weeks ago, which are no longer connected to the network have not been released. Seems the addresses are very very sticky.

So it should be sticky you don't want your LAN IP changing in the middle of a film or game your IP is renewed for the same IP.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So, does the lease time work? If the default is 8 days which didn't work either, then the IP could change thereafter. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your IP does not change regardless of lease time the DHCP server does not change your IP after the lease time you renew to have the same IP, if the DHCP server was restarted you may get a new IP. 

Put this way you wouldn't want to pay rent for 7 days only to be asked to change flats when the rent was due.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is it not the case - The DHCP client renews its IP configuration data prior to the expiration of the lease time. Therefore if the client fails to renew ie no longer on the network the server should release the IP for someone else. 

Appreciate your responses. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sajyboy wrote:

Is it not the case - The DHCP client renews its IP configuration data prior to the expiration of the lease time. Therefore if the client fails to renew ie no longer on the network the server should release the IP for someone else. 

If the client fails to renew then maybe that IP goes to another device depending on how the DHCP server deals with non renew IP's, its possible for a DHCP server to store all MAC to IP binding till it runs out of IP's then starts giving out IP's that have not been renewed.

0 Kudos