We have an issue which has been going on for months now. In recent weeks, it has become virtually unusable for work purposes.
Our SuperHub 3.0 is constantly rebooting causing internet outage for upto 5 minutes each time. The router is doing this upto 6 times a day. At first I initially thought it was just an occasional VM outage. But it transpires it's not just been happening to us. After checking with my neighbourhood WhatsApp group, it appears its been happening to all of us. Many of us have tried contacting the tech team. Same old troubleshooting steps of resetting to factory settings, rebooting etc. which never resolves the issue. We've even had one neighbour raise this personally with a contact who is a regional manager. Still no definitive resolution.
After investigating further myself, I noticed that every time there is an outage, the SuperHub 3.0 is actually rebooting itself. I know this from the Uptime stats on the router. This lead me to believe this could possibly be due to the firmware that is currently on the router.
Standard specification compliant
: DOCSIS 3.0
Could the firmware be causing these repeated problems for us all? Is there any known solution or workaround? Has anyone who's had this problem seen it resolved by using the Hub as a Modem mode only?
Having 3 people working from home on video calls is making the connection virtually unusable. After being with VM for over 10 years we are looking to cancel if we are unable to get to the bottom of this.
(I've been monitoring the connection with a ping monitor. It has gone down 82 times in the last 19 days alone. 5 hours in total downtime!)
Have you and the What's App group checked for “known network faults”?
As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.
One useful tool to set up to monitor and keep a record of connection quality is this.... ____________
if you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.
I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
So I think I finally got to the bottom of this problem! I thought I'd share it here in case it's affecting others...
Basically, I ended up having an engineer come out to investigate. The engineer replaced the router with a brand new Superhub 3.0 and also replaced the isolator on the cable.
Once the engineer left, I logged into the web interface on the router, changed the admin password and then configured my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi SSIDs as normal and set my own wifi password. (I prefer having my 5G seperate to the 2.4Ghz).
Anyhow, shortly after he left we had the router reboot twice in the space of 6 hours again! Back to square one.
This time I reset the router back to default factory settings and didn't change anything this time. The wifi names remained default with both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz having the same predefined SSID. The password for the admin login for the interface was default too.
3 days later and we have had no disconnects or router reboots since! Normally we would have 3/4 a day. The router clearly has a problem when the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs are seperated for some reason. We always had it like this for a long time but I'm guessing a recent firmware update made this scenario unstable.
I've told all my neighbours experiencing the same issue to do the same. Hope this helps others!