cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 2ac firmware update

LukeRich2000
Joining in

Hi, Just got a question.
Super Hub 2ac installed in 2015. Sadly I'm not the account holder but I have informed them almost every time I see that they are eligible for a new router they tell me that they have been told by virgin that they do not supply them to the area they are in... I know this is rubbish as someone around the corner has the Hub 3 and I've seen the SSID in the style of the Hub 3 being detected by my Mac. I've been snooping around the settings of the hub and they seem to be on a software version of 2.01.15 and was wondering if that is the latest version or if the router is out of date as well as being old and if that is why I'm having issues connecting smart home products. 2G seems to have stopped allowing connections to the internet. Just to confirm I live at the address so it's not totally weird me bugging them about the internet not working how it should be. Also, if anyone from Virgin can confirm that they would definitely be eligible for new equipment this would be a great help since they have noticed that even their Kindle no longer is working (yet they won't change anything). 
The equipment they are using at the moment is Tivo and Super Hub 2ac both installed around early 2015.
The account holder has a very "It's not affecting me so it's not an issue" mentality but I bet their devices are using 5G and they just will ignore any issues that do come up. They were using an iPad 2 & 4 until recently when BBC iPlayer just wouldn't work with them anymore so convincing them will probably require a degree in manipulation or something just to get them to change
All help will be appreciated here

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LukeRich2000 

Ask the account holder to go to the following page and sign in and see if there is a free hub upgrade available  for them.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The account holder would need to ask for a new hub or you can buy a new router hide it use the same SSID and wifi password put hub in modem mode and they will never know apart from it being more stable and faster that is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LukeRich2000 

Ask the account holder to go to the following page and sign in and see if there is a free hub upgrade available  for them.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I’ve tried a new router but they claim it makes it worse while I get a better experience. Since I was leaving for uni I removed it so they could have their “more stable” connection. I think they just didn’t want to have the extra equipment cause they want as little stuff as possible.

I’ll try it again once I’ve reset the router

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There is a sequence to follow toi connect your own router - I have posted it below.

Meanwhile its hard to see how it could be any worse than a VM Hub ! What make model is it?

__________________________________________________________________-

Switch on and set up your own router (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

and wait 5' for it to initialise. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.