cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 2 Keeps Locking Up

galacey
Joining in

My internet connection has been dropping off all day. It will work for between 10 minutes and just over an hour and then I lose connection.

All the indicators on the front of the Super Hub 2 box will show solid blue and I have to power it off and then back on.

Service status and online test shows nothing wrong with my box because it is working when I test it.

When I run the test from my mobile phone when the connection has gone, it is unable to complete the test and gives me the option to chat with support or phone them.

I've reset the box with a pen through the hole in the back but it is still the same.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you called it in as a fault?  A tech will visit and should replace the aged SH2.  It is well past its sell by date.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

galacey
Joining in

Hi,

Thanks, I was going to phone today if it was still playing up but its been working OK since 11pm last night.

I'll call it in if it starts playing up again. I'll leave it alone for the moment while its working.

Thanks,

Gary

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep... if it ain't broke don't try and fix it 🙂

I only replaced my SH2 a few months ago as I needed to switch my VM landline to a newer hub with a phone port as the phone cabinet was being disconnected.  You will also have to do that soon - if you have a VM landline.

That said, I stuck with the SH2 for so long simply because it was in modem only mode from day one.  I use all of my own (far better quality) wireless equipment - see my Sig - and be free from any VM constraints.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don't have a virginmedia phone so I won't have that problem.

I've been looking at routers recently to use my box in modem mode.

I was reluctant to upgrade the box to a later one in case I ended up with a faulty one.

I had the original metal box. When that failed the engineer offered me this as an upgrade. I think the one he gave me was one he'd swapped out somewhere else. It had the same fault as this one, locking up and needed to be powered off. I put in a call and the engineer came out and took a look at it. It was working when he got here so he left it.

It failed again soon after he left so I had to put in another call and he came out again the next day and replaced it.

This one's been working fine now for a few years until yesterday apart from the wi-fi being never being any good. I sometimes have to reset the box or disconnect and reconnect my phone when the wi-fi stops.

Hence, I've been looking at routers to see if it will improve the wi-fi signal. I've been looking at Linksys ones. I might get an 8 port switch as well. 4 ports isn't enough and I'm constantly swapping cables over.

I'd read somewhere that the later virgin boxes have a problem working in modem mode.

Thanks, Gary

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Take a look at Mesh systems too, will work well with the with SH2 in modem mode. 

A good place to start looking is the TP-Link Deco range (get a 3-pack - with 1GB ports).  The S4, M4, M5 & X-range  models offer good value and features.  I have 3 friends who got the M5's and they work brilliantly in their 4 bedroom semi's and cover their gardens too.

I will probably get a set of X-somethings (as they have Wifi6 as does all my Apple kit ) when my current ones gives up the ghost  🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I hear what you say, but really the SH2's have had their day. It's time VM retired them all as they can't make use of the full infrastructure.  Of course any replacements should be put into modem mode immediately   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi galacey,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear you're expeirencing issues with the service, as explained above the SH2 although mighty in it's longevity for your setup is one of our older Hubs.

If you are still experiencing problems then let us know as it would most likely be replaced.

Regards,

Kain