Menu
Carl-M7GTZ
Settling in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 2 Faulty

Hi Team,

I have the Super Hub 2 router which is almost defunct. The power cable attaches just above the power switch and both the plug socket and the switch are intermittent. So much so that a gentle breeze will disrupt the supply and spontaniously reboot. The primary driver is and continues to be a need to manually reboot the router 3 or 4 times each day. The need to do this is uncertain. Anyone connected via a lan cable, be that MAC linux or Microsoft have no issues and maximum speed is attainable. Anyone connecting via WiFi will recieve an appaling experience, worthless wifi. Once the router is somehow corrupted, be that by the apple, firestick, android or windows. All sevices over wifi are affected until the router is rebooted. The problem is most pronounced when both Apple and another non apple variety devices are attached and in service at the same time.

It appears that despite the router now having a physical fault from the constant rebooting, it is also unable to cope with the subtle implementation differences to the wireless ethernet standards, especially after recent IoS updates.

Alas the power cable and switch seem to be giving up. How can I get a replacement? Is there an after market router that I can purchase that will work ever so slightly better than the Hub 2?

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 2 Faulty

You can try this link:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

Or you can try calling it in and asking for a replacement - seems a lot of the helldesk staff don't know about the offer though, so you may struggle to convince them to give it to you for free.

Alternatively, you can wait here for 7-10 days for the forum staff to pick it up and get one sent out to you.

Whatever you do, you will need a VM supplied router - VM will only connect routers that they supply to their network.  You can however run the Virgin device in "modem mode" and put your own decent router behind it.. this is the recommended configuration from most people at this forum. 

Carl-M7GTZ
Settling in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 2 Faulty

The link worked for me, thanks.
I should have a Hub 3 with me in a few days. I'll consider modem mode if the issue with wifi compatibility is still apparent after the upgrade. :thumbup