Menu
Highlighted
pb30531
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 2 Drop Outs

I am experiencing frequent wifi drop outs that require a reboot of the system. The reboot requirement is a particular nuisance as I have a Cocoon WiFi security camera installed in my home and when the system needs a re boot the security camera doesnt work. Obviously the failure defeats the object of having a security camera as it is off line until I get home to reboot the system.

I have read the Super Hub 2 WiFi Performance issue and the situation effects both android and IoS smart phones used by 4 or 5 of the grandchildren who visit my home but the drop outs are occurring when they are not visiting as well and are effecting the security camera and the only other android phone at home at any one time. The manufacturer of the security camera has replaced the camera with a brand new one in case it was faulty but to no avail suggesting to me that it is the Virgin hub thats at fault.

So my question is , how do I rectify the fault or obtain a replacement hub ?. Alternatively what is the best reliable router that I could purchase as a replacement.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 2 Drop Outs

Hi pb30531,

We are sorry to hear you have been experiencing this recurring issue. We would like to take a further look into this for you, we will follow up with a PM so we can take some details and investigate this further.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
HG_Sparky
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue on the Super Hub 3.0 and tech support just advises to press the reset button on the rear. I've had this problem for weeks now with random drop outs. Today's call was the last straw which leads me to depart from VM company after 24 year as being a customer.

0 Kudos
pb30531
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sparky,

Yes I can understand the frustration. I reported this fault some weeks ago on my system  and was advised to try and reset the hub with a paperclip or small screwdriver. The only problem with doing that is you then have to go through the rigmarole of setting up systems like the TV, phones and wifi security camera in my case, which would be inconvenient to say the least. And then having done that theres no guarantee that it cures the problem according to some replies on the Forum. I can see that I am going to have to ditch the Super Hub I have got but I dont know enough about them to know what to replace it with or whats involved.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the SH2 still connects to the network problem free on an ethernet cable connected device then the modem is fine and you could put it into modem mode and attach your own wireless router. I did that years ago on my SH2.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
HG_Sparky
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had the same debate with VM staff as I also have CCTV porting and dedicated fixed IP addresses etc. So pressing the reset button was a time consuming activity. Then having to donut a further 6 or more times over the past 2 weeks is no fun! 

Having picked up some advice online about the weaknesses of the Super hub 3.0 I decided to by a more powerful router and switch SH3 into modem mode. All I can say is wow the connection to my cameras and a few other devices is now rapid which has to be down to the processing power of the router. However I’ve still had the problem broadband dropping and the SH3 resetting.

Tech staff are adamant that it’s not their hub 3.0 although I’ve been sat watching the router reboot and reconnect. I can’t keep on arguing with them so I’ve decided to leave them now and take a slower and hopefully more realisable broadband provider. Shame as I’ve been a loyal customer for decades.

0 Kudos