Menu
Richie83
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sudden loss of internet in my workroom

Two days ago my iMac stopped connecting to the internet. Service had been (mostly) fine until then but now the computer can't connect. I get the message "WiFi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.196.206 and will not be able to connect to the internet". The problem is not the computer because I tried using my iPhone and MacBook in the same room – which happens to be my home office, where I work from everyday – and both of those devices are unable to connect in that room. If I take them downstairs closer to the server, they connect. The house is not big and the connection has worked for five years until now – albeit mostly with a different server provider, I've only been with Virgin for around six months and, I have to say, the service has been patchy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden loss of internet in my workroom

if 2 devices connect fine then the problem has to be the mac - know nothing about them but if it was a windows machine i would suggest forgetting the wifi network on it and starting again - assume there are simmilar settings on the mac - lets see if i can get a mac expert to comment

@jbrennand - one for you [maybe] John

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Richie83
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tony, thanks for the reponse, but the two other devices are also NOT able to connect in the room where the iMac is, which is my office. They only connect when I move them into a different room closer to the router. This is a new problem, as previously all devices worked in my office until about 36 hours ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeRobbo
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like you need to get better wifi by either using VM boosters (with cost dependant on contract) or purchasing a third party router or mesh system..

If you are working from hme I take it you are on a commercial contract so the guys on the commercial support number should be able to help you out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Richie83
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM Boosters might be an option, but funny that it worked fine until two days ago. This was the same day I recieved an email from Virgin saying they were upping the speed of my connection. Which would be welcome if the connection hadn;t suddenly stopped working. It makes me wonder if the two are somehow connected?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeRobbo
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I very much doubt it but as a confidence check you could try rebooting the Hub.

Another thing you can do (that won't fix your problem) is to refine the wifi at the Hub.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you WiFi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@jbrennand - one for you [maybe] John

Thanks Tony. I dont think this sounds like a Mac issue per se, but as the others are implying this sounds like a simple wifi problem that has just developed and the iMac is now in a zone of little connectivity - for whatever reason - maybe the upgrade and firmware update perhaps.
Following the usual channel splitting advice (a la Mike) is the obvious first thing to try. If that doesnt work then the best recourse I would suggest is getting their own wireless equipment - lets see.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos