Menu
rwnxcvi
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Stuttering internet connection, high latency,

I am at my wits end with Virgin Media.

Constantly we are experiencing high latency, packet loss and intermittent download speed.

We have a download speed of 110 Mbps in Bath. I have ping tested servers from Bath to Bristol which range from 5-10ms (fine) which then spike to 60ms every 3-5 seconds. 

I have tried to ring up to complain to a real person, to be told there is network upgrades being done and I should wait. I have waited several days and it is still happening. We have been experiencing this for weeks.

I have tested every solution on the hub, restarted it several times, and reset it. I have ping tested Google's DNS servers after resets and it still experiences high latency spikes.

What course of action can I take? Is any support available that I can access?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stuttering internet connection, high latency,

First question as always... are these issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

That said, VM saying "network upgrades" is ominous. So have you checked whether there is a "known" issue and also a BQM will provide some useful data/evidence

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rwnxcvi
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am only using devices connected to ethernet. Directly to router using Cat6. I have used the online diagnostic status to check if there are issues multiple times, only for it to find no faults.

I have just rung that number with my account number and area code put in, it briefs about some iOS bug pre-recorded message and then the automated service hangs up on me (I assume it's because it's a late Sunday?)

I have set up a broadband quality monitor using that link so I will post when it has some information.

Within the last hour it has gotten extremely bad. Spiking to 120-160ms to UK London servers.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That's the normal response on the 0800 number when there are no know issues in your location.

The BQM will be interesting to see

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rwnxcvi
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So here is today's graph from 8pm last night. As described you can see the spikes all the way upwards of 160ms.

virgin media 15-02.png

Direct graph link 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Since you posted an image, it will take some time to be approved. It would be best if you could share a link to the graph instead. 

0 Kudos
rwnxcvi
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have already done so just below the image.

Currently cannot get through to anyone on Virgin Media Support call number. It just sends me a text to the online walkthrough repeatedly.

0 Kudos
rwnxcvi
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Here is a few more hours of the graph monitored.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Graph

I assume one theory is we are being choked due to heavy local load? We've had minimal usage today as had to go to the shops and it's still going mental.

After roughly an hour of hold I finally got through to support on the phone and they're sending a technician tomorrow. I remain sceptical but hopeful this visit will fix my issue.

0 Kudos
rwnxcvi
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So once again any meaningful support from a broadband provider is hard to come by.

We had a technician come and evaluate our network last week. Before he even came in he said he registered 650+ errors on the cable into our rental property. Inside he found about 30m of previous cabling, aerials and all bundled up inside of a cupboard with equipment he said hadn't been used for over 15 years. 'An absolute shambles and shameful installation' he said. We double checked prior with Virgin Media before starting a contract whether it was all installed correctly this year and had the OK. He took out all the old cabling and installed new boxes and a Rx modifier on the back of our router. All worked extremely well for about 3-4 days.

But now we're back to square one. Looking at the graph, it's completely erratic again. 

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Graph

I rang up last night, over 50 minutes on the phone and passed over 4 (!) people and 3 teams. The phone call concluded with a very stubborn Indian man yelling at me about the differences between 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi with me desperately trying to interrupt his obviously dictated spiel that this was occurring over ethernet. He then said he couldn't see any errors and just said hope this resolves your issues and hung up.

Now what?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That certainly looks like an over-utilisation issue.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos