cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck "obtaining IP address"

rorschach1
Joining in

Hello

Just started today I can't connect any wireless device to my Hub 3.0. My laptop is working fine on ethernet but all my wireless devices find the wifi network, connect but then say "obtaining IP address" and don't go any further. 

10 REPLIES 10

g0akc
Problem sorter

I'd start by rebooting the hub - power off then back on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tried that twice and tried a reboot through the routers settings page.

Try a factory rest with pinhole button - but make sure you have the default passwords and any config settings/changes you have made will be lost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Sorry for the slow reply.

Restarting the router fixed the problem. For 2 days. It has now happened again. Happening the once I can understand it being a little glitch in communication between devices or something, but happening again so soon must mean there is a deeper issue.

Try having a look at the wireless environment - use a free WiFi analyser 

are you clashing with your neighbours WiFi? Same channels?

are all WiFi drivers up to date ?

both 2.4 and 5GHz present?

No clashes with other wifi channels. Not using WiFi on laptop so drivers not an issue. Only using 2.4GHz, I have 5GHz turned off.

This seems to be a start up issue in the router, as in it only happens when the router is first turned on in the morning, it will either allow connections or not.

So does it happen if the hub is left switched on?  Try that for a while at least?

Why are you turning it off?  To save energy?  Restrict access?

It could well be a sign of impending failure - so a new hub required.

Doesn't seem to be a problem if the hub is left on though of course I only have a few days of experience since first having the problem.

Hub is switched off at night for various reasons, can't change that.

Hi there @rorschach1, welcome back to the forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are having the message with the IP address showing after rebooting the hub. I have checked things on our end and cannot see anything that would be causing this.

I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details to check this further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules