Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Strong WiFi signal, no internet

I have seen another thread with similar issue and thought I start a new one....

Been having problems with Virgin WiFi for several months now where devices are connected to WiFi (strong signal) but report no internet on and off throughout the day at regular intervals. This is happening even if the device (eg iPhone) is in the same room as the router - no more than 10 feet away with no obstacles in the way.

We have a number of devices connected directly to the router with LAN cables ( + 1 LAN connected to home plug network) - these are all working fine with very good speed and no interruptions.

Had the Hub 3.0 replaced a couple of months ago, but still same problem.

Connected Devices

DeviceSpeed (Mbps)Connected to
Home PC100Ethernet
XboxOne1000Ethernet
TIVO1000Ethernet
TOSHIBA-TV100Ethernet
Amazon Dot54WI-FI 2.4G
Amazon Echo54WI-FI 2.4G
Andoid Mobile16.88WI-FI 2.4G
unknown26.62WI-FI 2.4G
EPSON Printer13.69WI-FI 2.4G
TIVO (multi-room)685.54WI-FI 5G
Amazon Device131.83WI-FI 5G
iPhone171.38WI-FI 5G
Amazon Device79.1WI-FI 5G
Amazon Device846.38WI-FI 5G
COM-MID1292.96WI-FI 5G
iPad146.48WI-FI 5G
iPhone571.28WI-FI 5G

Any advice?

I am currently out of contract and paying over £140 per month for the various Virgin Media services. Unless this issue can be resolved satisfactorily, I will go back to my previous provider (Sky) who I was with for many years and rarely had any issues with. I only switched to Virgin as they have the fastest domestic broadband offering and there was a good deal on at the time.

Thanks,

Gary 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strong WiFi signal, no internet

WiFi speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed.

You can try factory resetting the hub, failing that you’ll need to put it into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system to improve your WiFi connectivity.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

With that many wireless devices maybe it's time to invest in a third party router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please could you recommend a good, yet reasonably priced 3rd party router - preferably under £100.

Thanks

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

See this thread from earlier today...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Awful-wifi/m-p/4473642#M341704

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@GaryK2671 wrote:

Please could you recommend a good, yet reasonably priced 3rd party router - preferably under £100.

Thanks

Gary

Something like this would be suitable.

Or a single router as above, depending on the size of your home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My issue is not about speed or connectivity....
When working, the speed I get through WiFi is as expected.
Most of the house has excellent WiFi signal.

Why would a device very near to the Hub (same room) with excellent signal report "No Internet" intermittently (yet frequently)? Is Hub 3 so bad that it cannot reliably support 13 WiFi connections?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It depends what those devices are doing ...

Think of it as mains water coming into your house and the fire brigade connect 10 hoses to the local water mains.

If they don't squirt water you can have a decent shower, if they start squirting the shower flow decreases, add a few more fire engines squirting water and your shower reduces to a dribble and the flow from each fire hose goes down as well.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@GaryK2671 wrote:
My issue is not about speed or connectivity....
When working, the speed I get through WiFi is as expected.
Most of the house has excellent WiFi signal.

Why would a device very near to the Hub (same room) with excellent signal report "No Internet" intermittently (yet frequently)? Is Hub 3 so bad that it cannot reliably support 13 WiFi connections?

Yes it is

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos