forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
hunch1969
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Streaming performance, could it be due to a lots of NAS overloading Hub 4?

Hi, we have a hub 4 with a 150mb? or might even be more that that. package. We get a lot of performance issues streaming to devices such as a fire stick (with netflix/prime, and the terestiral streaming services) most of the time these aren't reliable and we get buffering issues of the link just crashes. I even had an issue playing spotify on a google mini. I know the bandwidth should be fine and the wifi signal strength is fine. However I can't find anyway to figure out the issues.  We do have a lot of NAS connected so don't know if this could be pushing the hub 4 hardware (7 NAS devices connected to a netgear 8 port hub which is then connected to the hub 4 via cat 6 cable). Anyone got any idea? what would be great would be a way to monitor network traffic on the hub 4 or potentially away to set QoS on my internal wifi network (in case kids are all streaming on their phones).  I'm reasonably techie but I'm just hitting a blank with the issues.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Streaming performance, could it be due to a lots of NAS overloading Hub 4?

@hunch1969 wrote:

Hi, we have a hub 4 with a 150mb? or might even be more that that. package. We get a lot of performance issues streaming to devices such as a fire stick (with netflix/prime, and the terestiral streaming services) most of the time these aren't reliable and we get buffering issues of the link just crashes. I even had an issue playing spotify on a google mini. I know the bandwidth should be fine and the wifi signal strength is fine. However I can't find anyway to figure out the issues.  We do have a lot of NAS connected so don't know if this could be pushing the hub 4 hardware (7 NAS devices connected to a netgear 8 port hub which is then connected to the hub 4 via cat 6 cable). Anyone got any idea? what would be great would be a way to monitor network traffic on the hub 4 or potentially away to set QoS on my internal wifi network (in case kids are all streaming on their phones).  I'm reasonably techie but I'm just hitting a blank with the issues.

What are the NAS devices and what are they doing? Unless they are consuming capacity on the WAN link( e.g by syncing with other NAS devices over the internet or downloading large volumes of data) they shouldn’t be having any discernible impact on the network.. 

Do you get the same issues with streaming when using a device connected to either the switch or the hub via ethernet?

0 Kudos
hunch1969
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So generally the NAS devices aren't doing too much, they are really just for my wife to access to store photos (so lightroom and photoshop updates ) but that's only when she is working on her laptop which isn't that much of the time. The lights on the hub flash a fair bit, so I assume there's probably a lot of hellos type of signals bounding around between the NAS (i guess after all we are talking 7 unix PCs here) , but certainly no large data copies.  Other types of streaming seem OK. one of the kids has a cat 6 to a desktop, but most of the other connections are via wifi (usual suspects, ps4, xbox one, a number of laptops and lots of iphones). but mostly not doing stuff all at the same time. I did wonder if it could just be an old prime stick, but we did have a top of the line humax fvp-5000t, but that hasn't been good either (all installed apps / catch tv etc and recordings just suck). I tried running a cat 5 to the humax box without any significant advantage. That was directly from the hub 4. I haven't looked to use the netgear hub ( technically it's a Netgear GS108 - 8 Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch - but it doesn't have a management layer you can access) 

I think part of it is how I can trouble shoot to try and find out what is causing the issues (such as a son having a hidden server farm under his bed 🙂 )

I did wonder about getting a good quality router and setting the hub 4 to a modem only box, but not sure if that will help or not? 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you need to try to narrow it down to whether it's an issue with just Wifi or if it exists when connected via ethernet.  The hub is an ok cable modem but a terrible wifi router.

if you only see the issues when using wifi, the recommendation is likely to be to buy yourself a decent router and use the hub in modem mode.. if they exist when wired in though, then you may have a problem with the underlying connection and no amount of money spent on a better router is going to improve things - you'll have to sort the underlying issue first.

get a BQM set up which will graph the performance of your connection, as seen from the outside, over time - this is useful for (amongst other things) highlighting any overutilisation issues in the local VM network.

additionally, it's worth posting the stats from your hub - browse to http://192.168.0.1 -as you have a hub4, you'll have to log in and browse to advanced -> router status (not sure exactly where it is) and post the detail from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - there are plenty of people around here who can interpret the data from those tabs and tell you if there's anything obviously wrong with your connection.

Outside of streaming, though, does anything else feel like it's not working particularly well? any complaints about lag from the kids when they're gaming? this is usually another good indicator of issues 🙂

0 Kudos
hunch1969
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot to look at and very useful so I will start digging into it. Like the latency tool you supplied to me 

So most of the time there isn't much complaint about lag and reliability, but the kids often just stream over 4G as they can have all you can eat data. No complaints when playing xbox, PC games (but that is normally cabled) or PS4.  Pretty much the bulk of the issues are related to steaming TV type of apps (Prime, Netflx, ITV Hub, C4 catch up, bbc iplayer). We've always had issues here, and I guess it could be the device hosting the app to play, but we originally bought the Humax top of the line box, that has always just been useless both from streaming and recording programmes for playback, Adding the apps to the prime stick (which is a few years old so might just struggle these days?) and on inbuilt apps in a Sony TV. 

Part of me wonders if I just got a bad Humax box as I here lots of positive reviews of it, but honestly for me this has been the biggest disappointment and I don't know if that was due to going from Virgins set-top box to a freeview box and I have higher expectations than i should? 

I guess the prime stick is an early generation so might just struggle with the latest version of apps? 

Does anyone have a view of the best  (cheap ) option? is it a newer prime stick or another type of stick you can add netfix apps onto?  I don't even know if there is a way to see how old my prime stick is to see if it's a number of generations behind.  Maybe I should get a 4k version even if I'm using HD only as I guess it would have more CPU power.  Just at the stages of grabing at straws. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

i'd make sure it's not the wifi before you start shelling out for new firesticks and the like - what is streaming like on the PC that is connected via ethernet?

reading your post, it does sound like things generally work OK when wired in, and it's just the wifi clients that seem to be struggling.. and you notice this when you're using wifi for larger data volumes (e.g. video streaming).  If that is the case, then a decent router or mesh system will likely help a lot... as mentioned previously, the hub is not great.. 

0 Kudos