cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop my hub broadcasting "Virgin Media"

jjo5555
Tuning in

I think it is absolutely unacceptable that I turn WiFi off on my device (we are a WiFi free house due to sensitive health equipment) and without warning or consent the hub, it seems, continues to broadcast "Virgin Media".

I need the hub to STOP broadcasting.

There is a suggestion that within my Virgin Media account page I will find an option that says:
Opt out of Virgin Media WiFi. Your Hub will no longer be part of the WiFi hotspot network, but you'll still be able to access Virgin Media WiFi hotspots whilst on the move.

However, you seem to have removed this option. Please can someone enable this option for me immediately so that I can get my health equipment working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jjo5555  Thanks, I did raise the lack of this option with the Community Moderators last night via our VIP private area.  They have noted the problem and referred it on for investigation by the relevant team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That ommision has been noted and they are looking into it. Its still there for the Connect App users though.

Until then you could put the Hub into modem mode and connect it to a "non-wifi" router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Putting the hub in modem mode is enough!  You can use a wifi router as it won't broadcast the hotspot (there's a separate backhaul used in the hub for that that's not used in modem mode).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

While I fully understand your problem it was my impression that nowadays all medical equipment was shielded from WiFi interference. While you may be able to turn of your WiFi other households around you will still have theirs active. I can see over 100 SSIDs transmitting at my location.

The other suggestion I have is to put the VM hub in a Faraday cage, an earthed tin box. This will certainly stop WiFi emissions. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Should have added above that you can turn the wifi off in a wifi router given you don't want wifi on at all. Also, as Tudor said, if your equipment has been built to standards wi-fi shouldn't affect it. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electromagnetic-compatibility-regulations-2016/electromag...

jbrennand

if you look at other threads on this site you will see that Virgin can make this change to my accounts and to my router upon request and that is the request I am asking.

I can’t use modem mode because of IP crashes instead I am using DMZ mode which is working fine with my firewall. 

I have turned both 2.4 and 5 Wi-Fi off on the hub and would expect that to turn all Wi-Fi off but it does not.

I have turned both two. Four and five Wi-Fi off on the hub and will expect that to turn all Wi-Fi off but it does not.

I see no reason why I should be providing Wi-Fi for anonymous users if I don’t want to.

this is a request for Virgin to disable the community Wi-Fi broadcasting from my hub.

paul0363

I do not want to use the modem mode I need to use DMZ mode.

I have turned the Wi-Fi off on the hub and would expect that to stop cool Wi-Fi but I’m being forced to broadcast a signal for virgin media  

Tudor

I have zero other SSDs at my location and certainly do not expect to create a faraday cage when it is possible for Virgin to turn the community Wi-Fi off on my hub. That is my request to Virgin.

This can be done as is evident from other threads on this site.

Paul0363

You say that I can turn Wi-Fi off.

I have turned wifi off.

You say that I can turn Wi-Fi off.

I have turned Wi-Fi off but yet the community Wi-Fi “virgin media“ is still broadcasting

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jjo5555 

I have escalated this thread to the VM Forum Team for a response.  It is likely that this will be tomorrow.

As you have discovered recent changes seem to have removed the opportunity for customers to opt out of Wifi hotspot sharing.

Contrary to an earlier post the VM Connect app does not provide this option.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks