cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still the WiFi

johnsoho
Tuning in

After an hour conversation on the phone with Virgin Media, I can connect to my WiFi again... except I have no internet connection. While connected to the hub now, there is zero internet so I am in square one and the 'technician' on the phone said wait another 30 minutes until it resolves itself. It has now been 20 minutes and still nothing. I will wait another hour but if nothing has resolved it may be time to look into Virgins breach of contract and move to another provider. Abyssmal service.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM seem to be doing a lot of work on the network this week. Yesterday lots of people were reporting short-term issues from all over the country - including me.

I called the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - and sure enough it reported issues in my postcode that would be sorted by 6pm. They were - but today it has dropped againn for me and others on our street two or three times... and again it is reported on the number. Worth checking that when it happens again

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Been on the phone for an hour in the morning and assured it would be sorted within 30 minutes. 4 hours later poor signal still. Called up and they split my 2.4ghz and 5g. It has made a little difference but still poor. They really need to sort it out as it happens way too often. Seems i'm calling up every 2-3 months about signal issues and end up 3-7 days without WiFi in some cases. Doesn't help when you work from home as well.

My O2 mobile internet is 1000x more reliable and I pay 4x less for it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What exactly is reported on the 0800 (not CS) number for your postcode?

In the meantime...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts.

It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.