Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Still having issues following 'duplicate address'

I am having serious issues in trying to set up a broadband account.

I signed up on the 28th October following a deal on MSE. I contacted Chat as it said I didn't have to pay an engineer cost but it was only showing up with that option. I was told that everything was fine, and to contact the next day and they'll put the £30 credit on so I effectively didn't have engineer cost.

Next day, 29th October, I call and was told that a duplicate account form needed to be done. This would take 24-48 hours. Was promised a phone call, didn't get one.

I phone again and was told that they have been trying to get authorisation from my upstairs neighbours who have an account. Considering we have a court case against one another, I had to involve our shared landlord to get them to cooperate. But at least I got their 'permission'. I was told I'd get a call the next day. No call, so I follow up...

Spoke to someone named Seven who gave me reference number 277147 and a phone number of 0800 052 2065 to follow things up on (that number, by the way, no one answers at any time of the day!!!!!). Seven submitted the forms again and would give me an update after 24-48 hours, 'don't worry, I promise I will call you back at 9am-915am on Monday morning.'

No call back of course. I called on Tuesday and was told by someone else that it hadn't been processed by Seven but that someone else did it on Monday and to allow 24-48 hours, and that they definitely think it will be done by tomorrow (Wednesday). They promised to call me the next day.

NO CALL! I call today, 12th November, and spoke to someone who said that it appears that the account has been approved by one party but not another?!?! I get transferred to customer care as I am now apparently a customer (under what service?!?!I haven't chosen one yet!!!!) and was asked for my account number. What account number?! I didn't even know I had an account set up. I was told there was nothing they could do, they cannot speak to me without the account number and password I have set up (which I haven't set up!!)

I am now currently 2 hours 20 minutes of being on hold after being transferred by that person to the team who 'sets things up. Who knows if you'll answer?! 

I have also checked my credit record and Virgin Media has done a hard search on my account without me giving consent to do this. Because you've done a hard search which will affect my credit record, I have NO OPTION but to now stay with virgin media otherwise I will hurt my credit record more. Can you imagine, I'm not even a customer yet and I'm dealing with this??

Can someone please provide HELP on this situation. It really isn't hard. My upstairs neighbours are separate to my address. That's it. 

Laura

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still having issues following 'duplicate address'

Let me help, I will send you a private message for some details and get this resolved for you.

Jon, installation manager 

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They always carry out a hard search to ensure you can afford the bills etc.

One hard search is in no way detrimental either and hasn’t tarnished your credit history at all. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The issue is that I haven't signed up for a service yet, as they are doing all this duplicate address stuff behind the scenes before I *can* sign up to a service. Of course if they are able to offer me a service and I can sign up to one, then by all means check if I can afford it, but until that point, all it's done is limit me to Virgin Media only as going to another provider will be two hard searches in a month which is detrimental.

Also: "A hard search is when a lender takes a full look at your credit report (and score). This type of credit check leaves a mark on your credit report, so whenever prospective lenders look at your credit report they can see you applied for credit (and whether you were accepted)."

https://www.clearscore.com/learn/credit-score-and-report/understanding-credit-checks-hard-searches-a....

Bottom line: I have not asked for credit from virgin media yet. Once I do, they had a right to do a credit check, but not yet.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@lscarr01 wrote:
The issue is that I haven't signed up for a service yet, as they are doing all this duplicate address stuff behind the scenes before I *can* sign up to a service. Of course if they are able to offer me a service and I can sign up to one, then by all means check if I can afford it, but until that point, all it's done is limit me to Virgin Media only as going to another provider will be two hard searches in a month which is detrimental.

Also: "A hard search is when a lender takes a full look at your credit report (and score). This type of credit check leaves a mark on your credit report, so whenever prospective lenders look at your credit report they can see you applied for credit (and whether you were accepted)."

https://www.clearscore.com/learn/credit-score-and-report/understanding-credit-checks-hard-searches-a....

Bottom line: I have not asked for credit from virgin media yet. Once I do, they had a right to do a credit check, but not yet.

It doesn’t matter. The hard search is carried out at the time of application not after.

And 2 hard searches aren’t detrimental and no lenders see your “credit score” either.

And also they do not see if you were accepted or declined for an application.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos