Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Static/dynamic problems

I've been connected with this account (Virgin Broadband residential account) for 3-4 years. That entire time I've had the one, same IP address.

I've requested that it be changed a few times. I tried a couple of months ago: the engineer told me that as a residential customer, it was flat out impossible that I have a static IP because only buisiness customers have those.

I tried again two weeks ago, I was told they'd get back to me in 3 working days. They didn't.

I tried again today; after 50 minutes on hold, I got through to a chap who tried to do... something, but said his system kept crashing. The only thing he could suggest was factory resetting my router. I tried that - twice - still the same IP address. He said he'd have to put me through to someone else. This new person insisted that only business customers can have dynamic IP addresses and I'd have to talk to someone else about getting a business router. She put me on hold. Different hold music for 25 minutes that abruptly changed back to the awful pop music that you get in the main queue. Another 15 minutes later someone asked my name then immediately hung up on me.

Please, someone tell me how I can get a dynamic IP because none of this makes any sense.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Static/dynamic problems

Your IP is Dynamic in the sense that it's tied to the MAC address of the hub. Putting the hub into Modem Mode or getting a new hub will change your public IP.

It can't be changed ad-hoc by other means.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

a) Will they give me a hub with a dynamic public IP without charging me for it?

b) Why isn't there a dynamic IP in the first place? That's industry standard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

1. No not unless your current hub is faulty or a legacy hub. Even then the same applies with regards it being tied to the MAC address 

2. It is dynamic. As already explained. There are no “industry standards” in providing a static or dynamic IP address to consumer broadband connections

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@undynamic wrote:

<snip>

As already stated, the Hub's IP address is DHCP (dynamic)   Check the logs and you will see regular requests from DHCP for a lease.  Industry standard DHCP Request/Renewal 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@undynamic wrote:

a) Will they give me a hub with a dynamic public IP without charging me for it?

There's a lot of bad information on the net about DHCP.

Lets consider what is meant by static vs dynamic allocation.

In Static Allocation, the IP address, Gateway DNS, and other information are set up manually on the network adapter and are do not change unless they are manually changed.

Some if the disadvantages include:

• End user or network admin has to keep track of what IP addresses they have set on the device.
  • Should the device be taken to a different network, then the device needs the end user to reconfigure the device, as failure to do so can cause either the device to fail to connect at all, or address conflicts on the new network.

In Dynamic allocation, the network parameters are picked up from a single server which means the device can configure itself differently for each network it finds itself on.

This means that :

• Network administrator can define a pool of addresses available to devices, and thus each individual device needs no configuration by end users.
  • Devices can move between networks and will continue to work minimal configuration changes.  (Mobile users, for example, only have to input the wifi password and that's it)

When a device is on the same network a dynamic address MAY change, but it DOESN'T HAVE TO.  In fact devices may notify DHCP servers of their previous IP address, and if it is still available it may receive the same address back, even after lease expiry.

Finally VM use very long lease times (around 7 days) on their hubs.  This means that the hub addresses are very sticky and rarely change unless powered off for an extended period.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello

VM residential only has dynamic IP addresses although these tend to stay pretty much the same, unless something changes on the network, as it based on the hardware address of your hub that's the way the DHCP works. I have had the same IP address for the last year, and before that 5 years.

The only way an IP address changes on the network is -

1) Virginmedia re-segment your local network.

2) You get a replacement hub, these will only ever be replaced due to a fault and not to circumvent website security.

3) You run the hub in modem only mode with your own router connected, but it will still be dynamic and may not change unless the hardware address changes.

4) If you leave the hub off for a undetermined length of time, to allow lease to expire and for somebody new to get you IP address, could take months.

If you require a static IP address you would have to canceled your subscription with residential and take another contract out with Virginmedia Business, if you go down that route as VM business do not have the right to use a Virginmedia email address you will loose all you VM email addresses.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Also Virgin Business doesn't have the TV service.

Incidentally I'm on the third VM Hub still with the same WAN address, which suits me fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 - I presume that you're in modem mode with your own router then.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When a DOCSIS cable modem communicates with a CMTS it gets a dynamic WAN IP address from the DHCP server as these modems are always provisioned using DHCP, the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, to obtain the basic connectivity settings. The addresses can be the same for a user for years, as it happened with mine, although it did change recently.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos