Menu
Paddylaa
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Splitting the SSID 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Hey,

I've tried doing some reading but nothing seems to directly answer my issue or clarifies my thought process.

I have a Virgin Hub 3 with 100mb connection. I live in a 2 up 2 down end of terrace, so I wouldn't have expected signal issues but I am and I'm finding myself repeatedly having to reboot the hub whilst me and my partner are working from home. I can see max circa 17/18 devices connected.

First problem is my mobile. When I move upstairs (or sometimes in the kitchen) the connection becomes almost unusable and at times switches to mobile data. If I turn the wifi on my phone off and then back on it then begins to work perfect. I'm assuming this is because its then picking up the 2.4ghz range and the problem is the phone not switching from 5ghz when close to the router to the 2.4ghz range as I move away?

Next issue is with Google Nest Mini smart speakers upstairs. Constantly intermittent when trying to listen to the radio or Spotify, again I feel sometime they are picking up the 5ghz range and then beginning to struggle when the signal weakens. 

So from reading my thought is to split the SSID and create 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Then force mobiles and smart speakers onto the 2.4ghz range. Will this help solve my issue?

Or really in a 2 up 2 down terrace I really shouldn't be having wifi issues and its potentially a hub fault?

Or should I invest in wi-fi boosters? (I currently use a wired booster that I had free with BT years ago, and I use this to create a wired connection to my work laptop in the back room and this works perfect).

Or should I invest in a 3rd party router? (and one with QoS to ensure performance on certain devices?)

I could potentially ask work to fund the boosters or 3rd party router, so cost may not be so much an issue. I'm just trying to find the quickest & best solution to my issue.

Cheers

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Splitting the SSID 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Third party equipment will always be better than the hubs Wifi output.

It depends if you want a router or mesh system. Don’t go for extenders.

You shouldn’t have a need to use QOS unless you’re heavy video streamers or gamers. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Paddylaa
Just joined
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary. I'll have a look at routers and mesh systems.

In the interim will the split of 2.4ghz and 5ghz help with the intermittent connectivity on mobile and smart speakers?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Paddylaa wrote:

Thanks Gary. I'll have a look at routers and mesh systems.

In the interim will the split of 2.4ghz and 5ghz help with the intermittent connectivity on mobile and smart speakers?

Possibly yes. And choose less congested channels for them as well. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi