cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting off WiFi Frequncies

BinghamBloke
Super solver

I have been trying to set up a new HP printer for nearly 2 weeks. Been onto 2 different HP support people and the last one has suggested it is because it is struggling to connect to my Hub5 as it is 5G rather than 2.4

They sent me a lengthy email about requesting the 2.4 to be activated alongside the 5 and also asking about specific ports to be open. I think the ports is probably overkill.

Am I right in thinking I can activate the 2.4G myself by connecting to the hub as admin and ticking or unticking a few boxes? I have streaming between Virgin boxes and various connected home things like Nest cameras, thermostat Alexas etc. Would they just all deal with the change instead of it being 1 merged connection?

Basically seems a bit overkill to connect this 1 printer but I am out of options potentially. Thanks

1 REPLY 1

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@BinghamBloke wrote:

I have been trying to set up a new HP printer for nearly 2 weeks. Been onto 2 different HP support people and the last one has suggested it is because it is struggling to connect to my Hub5 as it is 5G rather than 2.4

<snip>

Basically seems a bit overkill to connect this 1 printer but I am out of options potentially. Thanks

There is a topic here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Printer-connection/td-p/5231270

which goes through various settings on a Hub 5 which might be able to get you a connection for a 2.4GHz printer.

Your VM hub uses the same SSID/wireless name for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies simultaneously in a single SSID name. Some devices with basic 2.4GHz connectivity do not like this. Splitting the wifi bands just means giving each SSID a different name (which you can do yourself by adding a _2G and _5G suffix to the SSID names in the Hub 5 web interface.

AIUI though VM's pods require a combined SSID name to work so if you use those splitting the bands would not be suitable. Also if you rename the SSIDs, then all of your other devices would need changing to the new SSID names so may involve further work/disruption to reconfigure those other devices. If you temporarily turn off 5GHz while trying to connect the printer, anything currently connected on 5GHz will be temporarily disconnected until you turn the 5GHz back on again.

Try some of the suggestions in the linked topic above first and see of you can connect the printer without having to rename/split the bands.

When I have set up HP printers in the past they too have often had a means to do the initial wifi setup via a wired USB connection and then to switch to wifi connectivity once the wifi details have been manually entered with the USB connected. If your model printer has that feature you could try that method (rather than WPS, for example, which can often be problematic anyway)