Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Splitting a line for TV and Broadband

Hi all,

I've just had VM fitted in a new house, so I've got a single point of entry at one corner, where the main box is attached to the house. Cable comes in here and is plugged into the V3 Router box. A second line goes around the house and comes in behind the tv, plugged in to a V6 box for tv.

i was about to put another Cat 6 cable around the same route, so that I can have a hardline backhaul to the TV from the router, but then thought, 'Why can't I split the cable coming into the house behind the TV'? 

I'd need to split it, have one end going to the V6 box, and the other into another modem to decode it for the internet. (converting the Coax to Cat 5) .

This would save me having to fix another cable around the side of the house and drill into the wall.

Can anyone see any issues with this?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Splitting a line for TV and Broadband

You can’t convert coax to Ethernet with virgin 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Splitting a line for TV and Broadband

Hello

The main issue  I see that to be able to run two modems you would have to have a 2nd contract for the other modem, as in normal cases only one modem is connected to the line, this would be at a cost per month for a minimum term, would be far cheaper to run Ethernet cable for one device.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos