cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting 2.4g and 5g

mickeyg68
Joining in

I have only recently had virgin broadband installed. After the initial install i was able to rename the 2.4g and 5g SSID's without any problem and was able to connect all of my SMART bulbs and plugs on the 2.4GHz channel. Over the past week the broadband connection has been dropping out daily. Virgin seem to have resolved the drop out problem. I have tried to rename the SSID's and reboot the router. The router broadcasts both the SSID's but I cannot connect anything to them. 

The process I have gone through to change the SSID's is to firstly disable channel optimisation, reboot the router, then rename both SSID's and finally reboot the router again. 

The router appears to reboot correctly with a flashing white light then a flashing blue light and finally a solid white light. When I try to connect anything to either of the channels all I get is error messages telling me that there is no internet access or that the device cannot connect. 

I'm hoping someone can help with my problems because I am unable to use any of my SMART home devices. 

Fingers crossed someone can help

Thanks in advance

Michael

PS I'm use echo devices for my SMART home and everything worked fine until now. 

11 REPLIES 11

I have 3 airport time capsules and 2 airport extremes. They’re all working normally by the looks of things. I’ll keep you updated when I get the time to start setting up all the SMART devices. 

Update for you. I’ve set up all of my SMART bulbs, plugs, power strips and light switches on the 2.4g on my Apple airports and everything seems to be working normally. 
The airports are broadcasting a 2.4g channel and a 5g channel downstream from the VM hub 5 mixed channel. So it does appear that you can split the channels after the mixed channel. There doesn’t appear to be any conflicts on the network at all. Fingers crossed it continues to work as it is now. 
Thank you very much for your help.