Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Splitter Query

This question out of curiosity. I won't be tampering and am aware of the T&Cs regarding VM equipment, but would appreciate an answer 🙂

My VM has been installed for several years. The splitter was installed as part of the installation to run to the Hub and V360 in the same room. Each output on the splitter is 4.5db. I have recently learnt that this refers to the signal which is lost - is this correct?

I was curious as to whether a splitter with a lower db would make any improvement to signal etc.?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Splitter Query

@Anonymous wrote:

<snip>  The splitter was installed as part of the installation to run to the Hub and V360 in the same room. Each output on the splitter is 4.5db. I have recently learnt that this refers to the signal which is lost - is this correct?

I was curious as to whether a splitter with a lower db would make any improvement to signal etc.?

Yes, that is correct.  No improvement in signal unless it's out of range already.  Downstream -6 to +10 and Upstream 34 to 51.  You need to check your power levels and see if removing the splitter will make them better or worse.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The value is a ratio insertion loss that the internal components induce, & this is always the same. Apart from very small manufacturing differences (0.5dB) all splitters operate to the same standard as far as cable is concerned. If a splitter induces too much loss in an installation a powered HDU is required to increase the incoming power level.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both, that's really helpful.

0 Kudos