cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split 2.4 and 5 ghz

rikna1
On our wavelength

I know that this topic has been done, and I set up the two ssids the problem is it did not work. Now I just have a 2.4 network no 5ghz network. Any ideas for how to fix this? 

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

In the hub's settings, does it believe that 5 GHz wifi is turned on?  And you've used a Wifi analyser app to check that there's nothing being broadcast?

rikna1
On our wavelength

Interestingly the app shows no 5ghz signal is being broadcast but everything is set up correct and the hub shows it is broadcasting both 2.4 and 5ghz. 

rikna1
On our wavelength

So I booted the hub, again, powered off and on and now no networks show. So I'm guessing that the problem is the hub can't show these two networks separately. What I don't understand is why or how to fix it. Other threads seem to show it is possible to run a 2.4 and 5 ghz network through a hub3. And combined both networks run, but then most of my smart devices don't connect. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The Hub 3 will happily run with the two SSID split, and in practical terms they aren't actually "combined" at all, they're two distinct networks that happen to have the same name, and rely on the devices to properly negotiate which band to use with the hub.  That last bit seems to be the problem when running them combined, because third party routers work perfectly fine using a single SSID (as my mesh wifi system does).

The problem you've described suggest a fault.  I'm afraid next step is to do a pinhole reset (can also be done through the admin menu if more convenient), that'll put the hub back to default conditions, but may help any peculiarities that the current user config is carrying.  Then you start again, simply renaming your two wifi bands with different names.  If either or both 2.4 or 5 GHz bands are still missing after you've done that then you'll probably need a replacement hub - it's rare but not unheard of for hubs to exhibit these symptoms.  If this is the case, use this forum to sort out getting it replaced - staff here will get round to this post and advise, but you'll spend hours going round in circles with VM's script-driven offshore customer service if you try phoning it in.

rikna1
On our wavelength

So for any VM staff, can I have a new hub3 please? 

rikna1
On our wavelength

Ok so follow up. If anyone can explain me to what happened I would be grateful. 

Only one network shows above, 2.4. so all 2.4 devices connect and no 5 ghz did, in fact nothing could see the 5 network. WiFi apps could not find it, my WiFi enabled desktop running through an Ethernet connection so bear that in mind could not find it. No phone or device could find it. Except one laptop. 

I logged into the 5 network on the laptop, factory reset and reinstalled all 5 network devices and they now all connect to 2.4 network, even though they cannot run on 2.4 and work fine.i have no idea why it happened but everything works for now. So strange. 

My long term plan is to downgrade the hub to a modem and buy a non virgin router so I don't have to spend hours tinkering with WiFi everytime a new device comes along. 

If anyone found this post useful, well fair to play to you. For me I'm just confused. 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @rikna1,

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you to find out what has happened and I can arrange a technician visit to replace your hub.

Would you like me to arrange a visit for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

rikna1
On our wavelength

Hello. I think the hub probably is faulty tbh but I don't want to spend hours resetting everything up again. I day this as I still have no phone service and the guest network didn't work, but these are secondary concerns to me. I will likely just turn the hub into a modem and go from there. So thanks for the offer but right ATM there is no need. 

Thank you for letting us know. If you do change your mind please do notify us. 

^Martin