Menu
mlc100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speeds and Crashing

HI all

An engineer came out on Saturday and tried to sort my wifi drop outs.  it drops out at between 6 and 10 times a day every day. He said he had found the problem and went out to the box to sort the signal. he then also kindly set up my netgear router for me so the hub 3 is now in modem modem mode.  all seemed fine at the weekend but am now back to dropouts and dodgy MS Teams meetings that constantly drop out. 

I did three different speed tests and wondered what you made of them?  two via the Virgin "approved" method of speedtest and the other just on the Virgin site.  these are the results.

Down - 3.5mbps - Up 9mbps
Down - 2.1mbps - Up 3.0mbps
Down - 2.1mbps - Up 5.01mbps

The Pings range between 12 and 15.  I am hoping someone here can translate for me please as it seems low. TIA

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Issues

Looks likely that there is a congestion issue affecting your local area.

A member of staff may be able to confirm a fault if one has been registered though may take a few days to respond.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speeds and Crashing

What are your wired speeds like?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
mlc100
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i will check that next when DH is away from the screen. The speeds have been like this all day. I thought getting fibre to the house would help...not so much...I appreciate that we now all work from home but this so far has been worse than my old Plusnet 😕

Do i plug the ethernet cable into the router or the hub 3 modem please?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you're in modem mode then power off the hub and remove the network cable for the router.

Plug in the network cable for your computer in its place then power the hub on again and wait for a connection to be established.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi