Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slower through Ethernet than wifi

PLUME0408
Tuning in

888C8151-57B6-43F0-932C-E592A2CEE54D.jpeg

432A6403-FE5B-425D-A607-A9E10AF18ED9.png

Just fitted hub 5 … speed tested on iPhone showing 800 mbps … i use deco mesh as signal not great through house .. as soon as I switch from hub to deco wifi it’s drops to 200 or lower   ( all deco settings been done ) so speed tested router through Ethernet cable to laptop .. again 200 ish lower that my phone on wifi .. confused.com 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

With the Hub 5 in Router mode, what speed does the laptop achieve over a network cable to the Hub using the test below ?   

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

Share the results please.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

With the Hub 5 in Router mode, what speed does the laptop achieve over a network cable to the Hub using the test below ?   

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

Share the results please.

Hi Thku for your help .. SAMKNOWS showing 1153 

6D7D383D-59FC-4FC0-BC68-6E9FDB8401FD.jpeg

Speedtest by ookla ( that virgin said use ) nowhere near that .. using cat 8 cable 

626F729D-8E82-47C8-80B5-94E6B3065D07.jpeg

Client62
Legend

So speed at the Hub 5 ports and via the laptop are fine.

When you use the Deco Mesh ...

1) is the Hub in Router or Modem mode ?

2) is the Deco in Access Point or Router mode ?

3) Is the laptop speed test   based on Hub 5  >> Cable to Deco >> Cable to Laptop ( i.e. No Wi-Fi /. mesh hops ) ?

4) does the Deco have QoS & if so it is fully Disabled ?

I’ll go through this and revert .. Thku so much for your help 

Which Deco Mesh system?

When testing via Ethernet were you using a port on the node connected to the HUB 5, or a remote node?

Ok so hub to deco deco to laptop .. speed test result … this is the main deco ( node ) hardwired … 

image.jpg

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What make is the Deco Mesh?  Hub 5 has Wifi 6 AX protocol, but the Deco may only have Wifi 5 AC protocol which is slower.  Any 1Gb ethernet should top out at around 940 Mb in ideal conditions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks