Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Speed and devices?

hi team

I have around 15 -20 devices across phones, laptops, security cameras, robot vacuums etc. I am 100Mbps. I have a paired booster too

The connection drops out for 2-3 minutes during the day especially when more devices connect (e.g. kids come back from school or evening). Also i dont have enough reach in some parts of the house

Will the upgrade (recommended by Virgin) to 200mbps solve it? or should I consider more options like adding router modems 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed and devices?

I reckon a better router that can support more devices would be better than a pure speed increase although, a combination of the two would be better.

Think of it as mains water coming into your house and the fire brigade connect 10 hoses to the local water mains.

If they don't squirt water you can have a decent shower, if they start squirting the shower flow decreases, add a few more fire engines squirting water and your shower reduces to a dribble and the flow from each fire hose goes down as well.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How do I add a router - is this something Virgin can do for me?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You search out a router that does the job that you want and then buy it and fit it.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Other options are getting a stand alone router and wireless access points or a Mesh system for easier set up.
In either case VM will not help - you will need to DIY - but with help on here of course 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

1 question
I understand I need to connect the 2 routers via cable . Thats a problem . There seems to be another access point in my house with a virgin white box & a cable wire coming out. Can I connect the router there ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The VM Hub should be able to be moved to the other VM white box (they are "usually" both active). Just unplug it, move it, reconnect it and try and see if it works ok. It may actually improve your wifi - or not?

Any additional router/wifi equipment needs connecting to the Hub (wherever you have it) by good quality ethernet cables.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Think am out of my depth here
I cannot move the hub because its connected to the TV via the cable
I can see if I can plug in the router to the second white box - though what I dont have is router which accepts a cable wire
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Penguin97 wrote:
Think am out of my depth here
I cannot move the hub because its connected to the TV via the cable
I can see if I can plug in the router to the second white box - though what I dont have is router which accepts a cable wire

You would plug the hub into the white box on the wall. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Before spending any money on either faster speeds or new wifi kit, I'd suggest we take a look at your hub's status data and possibly setup a Broadband Quality  Monitor.  The usage you describe is normally within the capabilities of the Hub 3, and dropouts are not normally a broadband connection fault, not a lack of bandwidth ("speed").  If it a scummy connection, paying for a higher speed probably won't help, nor will spending any amount on a new router or mesh system.

Connect to the hub, click on "Check router status", and from the resulting window can you copy and paste in replies here the full contents of the three tabs titled Downstream, Upstream and Network log, as text not screenshots.  And mosey on over to Thinkbroadband.com and create a Broadband Quality Monitor, let it run for 24 hours and then post a link to shared live chart back here..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks