cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed after upgrade

baggieboy
Tuning in

Hi. All

Not posted for a very long time but need some guidance.

I have volt 1gb, but only pulling around 650mbps. Anyone else had the same or any ideas why.

Laptop is wireless but router set on 5ghz and capable of upto 1733 mbps.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@baggieboy wrote:

Hi. All

I have volt 1gb, but only pulling around 650mbps. Anyone else had the same or any ideas why.

Thanks

1733 is the ‘link speed’, in the real world the actual useful data transfer rate is anywhere between 30-50% of that, at best. So you’re not doing too badly. Is there any way of connecting your laptop directly to the hub via an Ethernet cable, even if you have to get yourself an adapter (USB 3.1 and a known good cat5e or better cable)?
VM only guarantee a minimum of 20 Mb/s over WiFi throughout your house - which is fair enough as WiFi is horribly susceptible to external influences which isn’t in their control. We need to see what the speed is over a cable.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@baggieboy wrote:

Hi. All

Thanks

1733 is the ‘link speed’, in the real world the actual useful data transfer rate is anywhere between 30-50% of that, at best. So you’re not doing too badly. Is there any way of connecting your laptop directly to the hub via an Ethernet cable, even if you have to get yourself an adapter (USB 3.1 and a known good cat5e or better cable)?
VM only guarantee a minimum of 20 Mb/s over WiFi throughout your house - which is fair enough as WiFi is horribly susceptible to external influences which isn’t in their control. We need to see what the speed is over a cable.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it’s probably the laptop. I would expect an utter max from it of 867, so what you are getting is about right for 80Mhz, 2x2 MIMO.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the info, really useful.

Ordered connector off Amazon on 24hr express delivery, 4 days later still waiting 😂

Just curious I was getting what I paid for.

When Amazon shows up I will update.

Tudor 

Great reply thanks for your help.