Menu
Merm07
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Spam call claiming virginmedia technical support?

After I phoned virgin on Monday with the low downstream power levels (below -6 now) and now waiting for a return call (Supposed to be within 24h, called back this morning: automated msg says Virgin is still working on it). But Just now received a phonecall claiming to be Selina from Virginmedia, apologising for our broadband issues. Apparently there have been several calls and attacks to the broadband in our area resulting in unauthorised access. The lady was quite insistent in plugging in my personal laptop so she can “show” us The error message . Sounding quite fishy and as our laptop was flat, we ask to defer the call to tomorrow and Selina provided a phone number to call back at 3 pm. We also asked repeatedly for virgin reference or job ID, which she then claimed doesn’t exists whilst repeatedly pushing the phone number to call back on us. Bit more than suspicious...spam/ fishing caller Rather than virgin?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam call claiming virginmedia technical support?

@Merm07 wrote:

<snip>  Bit more than suspicious...spam/ fishing caller Rather than virgin?

'Selina' is a scammer! Needless to say, do not call back and certainly do not allow remote access to your computers.

Unfortunately, even the real VM offshore support service will sometimes say someone will call you back to get you off the line but the call back never happens. They just want to get you of the line.

You sound as if you have a known area fault from what you have written. There will be not too much that can be done until that has been resolved.

The real VM forum team (identified by 'Forum Team' under their forum name) will get to this topic within a few days to advise further on your fault issue.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Merm07,

Thanks for posting and sorry for the late reply, 

We would never phone you to advise of a fault, or request to access your computer/ laptop. The only way we would know if you are having an issue with the service if you called us yourself to report.

If you're unsure of anything you can contact by phone on 150/ 0345 454 1111 or text us on +44753 305 7809 🙂

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Alex_RM wrote:

Hi Merm07,

Thanks for posting and sorry for the late reply, 

We would never phone you to advise of a fault, or request to access your computer/ laptop. The only way we would know if you are having an issue with the service if you called us yourself to report.

If you're unsure of anything you can contact by phone on 150/ 0345 454 1111 or text us on +44753 305 7809 🙂

Alex_Rm

Hi Everybody

this is still happening , got a call on home phone this morning from "virgin Media technical team" stating that i was being attacked and that other people are using my internet causing me internet problem. Funny enough i was having some issues last night .. could they be causing the performance issue then calling?

Anyway, the background noise of a call centre was obviously fake...

I was transferred to a supervisor from the original caller...

The "supervisor" asked me to use my laptop to review the IP address that was the issue...

Then proceeded to ask to start the command box and started to ask me to begin to run cmd. I am assume they were going to instruct to type things in order to open up channels on my wifi.

Well at this point, I ask them to verify they were from Virgin Media, account number, service provided by them which they could not.

They even got aggressive and said they dont have that, i repeated and they said more agrressiveely , Ive said i dont have that!

Also, why i needed to start the cmd box and not review the HUB itself?

Anyway they terminated the call.

***WARNING**** IF ANYONE SHOULD ASK YOU TO START THE CMD BOX THEN THEY ARE TRYING TO GET YOU TO OPEN YOUR NETWORK FOR THEM BYPASSING ALL SECURITY PROTOCOLS

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1 with UHD
VM Telly Tablet
Tags (1)
0 Kudos