Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sonoff switch basic not connecting solved

• I was searching the archives with regards sonoff switches failing to connect and showing offline. Been exhausting options until today I've cracked it so wanted to see if i can help anyone else! I could add mine to the app but they would show as offline. 
  • Easiest fix as follows,
  • Split bands on router to 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
  • Buy a cheap and cheerful wireless n wifi repeater (with rj45 port)
  • Set repeater up on 2.4ghz channel in "AP" mode with Ethernet cable from router into booster.
  • Put phone with sonoff app onto 2.4ghz booster wifi connection.
  • Set up sonoff switches to connect through the new booster network. 
  • Hey presto all working as it should whilst keeping standard 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks still available directly on the virgin router. 

I really hope this saves someone some aggravation and countless evenings messing about like I did!

Ps. I did want to reply to an existing thread regards these issues but due to newcomer status not able!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sonoff switch basic not connecting solved

Sonoff switches work fine with my Ubiquiti WiFi although I have home-brew firmware in them so they don’t keep calling home to China.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I thought this was going to be easy.

But I bought a load of Sonoff devices. Thought I would setup an easy switch, type S26.

S26 does not  connect via Wifi with Virgin hub 4, using eWeLink. Does not even recognise the hub device name?

Any thoughts plz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Like you said, this is the case it seems alot of the time. By using a cheap and cheerful Wi-Fi booster as an access point running 2.4ghz only, it appears to have fixed all my previous connectivity problems with the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree with Tudor.

I flash my sonoffs with my own hack of Tasmota. That way all commands are contained in house.

I also build my own devices powered by ESP8266 and again use Tasmota. But at least let the Chinese manufacturer my PCBs.

I was shocked just how many Chinese servers my CCTV talked to and lesson learned and locked them down on a separate network with no Internet.

Plug and play with cloud services is just asking to be hacked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’ve found Pi-Hole really useful for seeing and then blacklisting all these Chinese and other ‘bad’ addresses.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos