Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sonoff devices do not connect to Hub 4 using WiFi

Pulling hair out time.

Spent many hours trying to connect a Sonoff switch S26 to VM Hub 4.

Tried re-installing Hub 3, as many people says these devices used to work with Hub 3. But I get no internet connection. So I assume VM have disabled the old Hub 3.

VM Hub 4 will not pair with Sonoff via eWeLink app. The app sometimes does not even recognise the device number of the Hub 4.

Screenshot_20201115-124638_eWeLink.jpg

Sometimes it does recognise Hub 4 and I can get the Sonnoff device to show on eWeLink, but I can never get it enabled.

I have disabled 5Ghz but it has no effect.

Any body got (in simple words) a method to get it working.

Does anybody use these Sonoff devices direct to Hub 4, or would it be easier to connect them via Alexa Show with zigbee connectivity.

Maybe using a SONOFF Zigbee Hub, Smart Zigbee Gateway Bridge connected to Hub 4 ??,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sonoff devices do not connect to Hub 4 using WiFi

Flash with Tasmota

Install a pi with mosquito and openhab. Setup cloud connection and you are on your way to home automation 

The reason I go with tasmota is I do not trust chinese software. Tasmota code is available for you to tweak so has plenty of coders looking at it.

But back to your issue. Sonoff wifi  with  ESP 8266 processors is not that strong. Add a poor wifi source such as a VM hub and you are asking for problems. A nearby access point to give you better WiFi will help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

what the hell are you talking about ?.

tried placing Sonoff S26 switch right next to VM hub 4, which was also right next door to mobile phone with eWeLink running.

eWeLink on mobile picked up the VM hub, and also picked up the Sonoff device, but it could not pair the device through th VM hub.

My bets are that the VM hub has not been designed for home automation and zigbee devices such as Sonoff. Or its faulty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub into Modem Mode with your own Router or Mesh System

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@grayb wrote:

what the hell are you talking about ?.

tried placing Sonoff S26 switch right next to VM hub 4, which was also right next door to mobile phone with eWeLink running.

eWeLink on mobile picked up the VM hub, and also picked up the Sonoff device, but it could not pair the device through th VM hub.

My bets are that the VM hub has not been designed for home automation and zigbee devices such as Sonoff. Or its faulty.

Could you access the HUB 4 and:

• Check the 'Disable Channel Optimization' box.
  • In the 'Wireless frequency 2.4Ghz' section next to 'Channel' check the 'Manual' box then select 'Channel 1' in the drop down option.
  • Ensure the 'Channel Width' is set to '20 MHz'.
  • Select 'Apply Changes' at the bottom and try again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry that does not work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Out of sheer desperation, I bought one TP-Link Kasa HS100 smart switch.

After installing the Kasa app, it only took 2 minutes max to get the smart switch paired and working.

Same phone and no changes to the VM hub 4.

I think this must proove that the Sonoff devices or the app do not work correctly.

I have also tried to pair a Sonoff TH16 temperature and humidty module. This also did not work. By trial and error I think it must be the eWeLink app that does not work.

Anybody have problems with eWeLink app

0 Kudos