Menu
vinodt1347
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Some devices dont connect to Hub3

Hi,

All of a sudden, few of the devices in my home dont connect to wifi. I did try to go into the router admin but the password did not work. I had reset the password but now it does not work again. 

The problem devices are 1 android, 1 ios and 1 window. There are 2 android and 1 windows device which dont see this problem.

I do see on the analyser that there is a nearby wifi that is really interfering with my wifi. not sure if this is the reason or if I need to separate the 2.5G and 5G networks with different SSIDs or should i just buy a repeater and see we can connect to it.

Virgin media customer care is non existent. whats the best way to call them? I cant spend hours on the phone.

Also the virgin media connect app doesnt work. It asks me to switch on mobile data and switch off wifi but then doesnt go to the next step. 

And I am paying well over £30 a month for this!! I have been a customer for last 13 years. I am getting disgusted.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some devices dont connect to Hub3

@vinodt1347 wrote:

I do see on the analyser that there is a nearby wifi that is really interfering with my wifi. not sure if this is the reason or if I need to separate the 2.5G and 5G networks with different SSIDs or should i just buy a repeater and see we can connect to it.

So see if there's a channel without other wifi hubs on, or the one with the fewest/weakest neighboring hubs.  Sort out your password issue, login to the hub and change the channels.  Avoid overlap so use 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4GHz - if there's an overlapping Wi-Fi signal it can cause more problems than one on the same channel.

Separating 5GHz and 2.4GHz can hep manage connections and is better for some devices.  I don't bother.

You might be better off buying your own router.  Use hub in modem mode.  It likely won't give any stronger signal (RSSI) but will be more stable and may give better throughput.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
vinodt1347
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

With reg. to your message below

You might be better off buying your own router.  Use hub in modem mode.  It likely won't give any stronger signal (RSSI) but will be more stable and may give better throughput.

1. Can you recommend a router?

2. How do I put the hub in modem mode? And once I do that how do I connect the Hub3 unit to the new router? would that be via a ethernet port? Will I need to do further config on both the Hub3 and new router?. 

Also, the help pages said not to change the auto channel management but you recommend some specific channels on 2.4G band. Iam not too technical - can you explain how I do all this?

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@vinodt1347 wrote:

Hi,

With reg. to your message below

1. Can you recommend a router?

2. How do I put the hub in modem mode? And once I do that how do I connect the Hub3 unit to the new router? would that be via a ethernet port? Will I need to do further config on both the Hub3 and new router?. 

Also, the help pages said not to change the auto channel management but you recommend some specific channels on 2.4G band. Iam not too technical - can you explain how I do all this?

1. I've found the D-Link routers good - but any reputable brand like TP Link, Asus, Netgear and so on - or one of the mesh systems with router capability.

2. There are instructions on these forums - once logged into the hub at 192.168.0.1 go to 'modem mode' and click on  modem mode instead of router mode. Reboot hub. Boot own router, let it finish booting and plug into the hub (ethernet cable to first socket on hub - the one furthest from the power socket).  VM hub should show red light (magneta).  Can be tricky - I had to do this twice and reboot several times to get it to take.   

You need to set up own router which should be straightforward.  My D-Link 882 has a setup 'wizard' that goes through the main settings easily.

If hub is in modem mode you can still access the set up page at 192.168.100.1 to revert.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@vinodt1347 wrote:

The auto channel management works in most cases, but is not perfect - it doesn't always get it right - therefore manual mode is wise in some situations - you have already apparently seen that there is another hub on the same channel as yours - there can be various reasons for this - but try setting channels manually and see if it improves things.

To set the channels you need to login to the hub at 192.168.0.1 and go to the 'advanced' and the Wi-Fi settings.

You don't need to be too technical - it's just like filling in a form...

0 Kudos
vinodt1347
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I seperated the 2.4 and 5G bands and that sorted out the issues 

0 Kudos